Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

lowering problem, help plz!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 03:42 AM
Default lowering problem, help plz!!!!!

hey guyz, big problem about lowering....it a 2000 accord, coupe....anyway, as i try to remove the shock out of the car, it stuck and wont come down....here is the problem...i removed the bolt that hold the shock, and try to press the brake down so it would loose, one side, the front, got off easily and finish that one side in like 30mins, the other side, it wont come off, so i took off the bottom bolt, sorry, i dont really know what the thing call, it has two bolt, one on top to squeeze the bottom of the shock, and the second one to hold the lower arm???? anyway, after i got that bolt out, the shock push down, while the control arm, i think thats called, push up...no matter what i tried, the shock wont come out...any way to get this thing fix? sorry i hope you understand

Old 04-12-2006, 04:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: lowering problem, help plz!!!!!

i dont really understand, but you have to remove the shock and the spring at the same time. loosen the top three nuts that hold the strut tower on, then take off that one lower bolt that holds the part that looks like an upside down U on. then step on the rotor, and pull the whole shock/ spring assembly out, if you try to do it any other way you are making it much harder on yourself.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:11 AM

yea i did that, but when i removed the bolt that hold the upside down U, lol, the shock pushes down, while the rotor and the control arm pushes up, making it very freakin hard to get the shock out, im stuck, so i just leave it there right now...the other side, it come off with juss a little push down on the rotor

Old 04-12-2006, 07:04 AM

oh yeah forgot to mention that i only lift one side at a time to do this, does it matter??? or should be side be lift together?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:14 AM

I always take off the sway bar bolts when I take out the shocks on my accord. Did you leave that bolt in? It just makes all the lower control arms drop down more. It's the one with all those bushings and spacers and washers. Put another jack under the control arm when you take it off since it's got a lot of tension on it. And remember how those washers and bushings all go back together!

Old 04-12-2006, 12:59 PM

Just for clarity's sake did you take off the center bolt on top of the shock thus allowing the spring to fully expand? Also, to get that rotor to drop a little more I do something a tad crazy... I lay on top of the rotor with my chest so that I can use my weight (which isn't much I weigh like 155) to push down while I negotiate the removal of the shock/spring assembly

Old 04-12-2006, 05:55 PM

hahaha, im juss trying to remove the whole thing, shock and spring so there is no need to open the bolt ontop of the shock....we found out why it did that, some idiot who put the shock back before didnt do it right, causing it to bent, so now when i try to remove it, it just bent and stay shut on me, my mechanic has to remove the damn axel to get it out

Old 04-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Just making sure you didn't accidentaly remove that top bolt... if that spring was allowed to expand removal could become interesting...

Old 04-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yeah, you need a spring compressor to remove the spring from the shock...... if you dont you could kill yourself... but still in the car..... be interesting to see a half shaft bent from the spring kicking the shock out lol

Old 04-13-2006, 03:27 PM

I just got a hillarious image in my mind of some guy in the trunk of a car off to one side and another guy a ways away holding a video camera.... Okay hit it with the airgun this is gonna be cool! *L*