Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Rattle from suspension, maybe.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Default Rattle from suspension, maybe.

So my car rattles when I go over a bad section of road. It sounds like if it would be a loose joint some where. It does not do the rattling if I go over a pot hole though, when I go over a pot hole you can hear the damping effect of the suspension, its only when going over cracked streets that I hear the metalic joint rattle. Does what I am saying make sense? Im pretty sure it is not my shocks or springs, they are brand new. Any Ideas?

Last edited by sanchdaniel; 12-16-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check your anti-sway (stablizer) bar end bushings. These wear and will cause rattling/clanking when turning over bumps.

good luck

Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

i had a samilar issue with my 2001. i would get a rattle/knocking from the driver's rear corner that sounded like something was loose when i went over bumps. smaller bumps seemed to make more noise than larger ones. on turns at highway speeds the rear end would chatter out a bit over bumps/seams. dealer told me everything was ok with suspension... so i dealt with it for a year or so... i also assumed it was just worn bushings.

then i decided to replace the shocks (at 140k mi) and found the driver's rear shock was bad (no damping). not only did it fix my rattle but the car rides like new again. everything was tight and bushings were all fine. the bump stop was damaged though.

if your shocks and springs are new - then i would look to the installation of said shocks and springs. maybe something came loose or maybe you got a bad part that failed for whatever reason. did you go with OEM shocks and springs or aftermarket? did you lower the car? can you just hear the rattle or can you also feel the rattle in the floorboards? the sound and intensity may clue you into a bushing or loose/failed part. is the noise from the front or rear and which corner of the car?