Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

replacing steering rack?

Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Default replacing steering rack?

I took the car up to the shop to be put up on the lift and find out where the leak is, and he said it was a seal on the steering rack, and i need to replace it. They wanted like 500 dollars total to do it. I looked online, and i can get a used rack for 90 shipped http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160096118171 I was wondering, would this one fit? And how hard is it to install one of these? I can have my dad help me, but he doesnt have experience working on newer cars really.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: replacing sterring rack?

does it say that the p/s rack is USED ?? No warranty No return, no refund ?? and you wan to waste 90 dollars taking a chance on it ??? put another 50 dollars and by a reman p/s rack, from the local import part store..,, some of those have a lifetime warrranty ..You also need to align the car after you replace the rack .. the job itself is not too hard but you need to raise the car to do it,, having a lift would be real nice..
if you DO not have a lot of tools , you might be better off to buy the rack, take it to a shop and have them replace it and aling the car afterwards ..
If you want to do the job, you need some line wrenches to make sure you do not stirp the lines going into the p/s rack,, you will need a 12mm, 14mmm 17 mm ,, plus some other tools..
I tell you what ...if you really plan on doing the job yourself let me know . I will give you all the details on how to replace it

Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 AM

i have to check about the line wrenches, but otherwise it shoudlnt be an issue, tool wise. Im going to locate a rack here next week, and see what i can do

Old 04-01-2007, 01:26 AM

i found this, does it seem ok? http://rep.racepages.com/parts/racep...howdc=true#topIt has free shipping, which i think is nice, and is less than the shop quoted for it. I can order it on monday or tuesday, unless there's a reason not to.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 PM

to be honest with you i do not know anything about that manufact but the price seems ok,,

http://www.mavalgear.com/ take a look at this.. give them a call and compare prices ,, I have installed maval reman P/s racks for many years and never had a problem ..,,,,,,,,I do not buy them directly from the company , so i don't even know if one can buy directly from them but give them a call, i get them from a local import part store , thta way i can get it the same day and finish the job ,, did you try calling your local part store ??

Old 04-01-2007, 02:41 PM

we got two in town, ill give both of them a call on monday. I know the shop said it was 200 through them, but everywhere else i look seems to be between 150-200. I checked out maval and they have one for my car, but i'd have to call them to see how much it'd be. Only bad part about if i got one of those is that i think i would pay sales tax

Old 04-02-2007, 05:46 PM

I called the two local places, and it looks like the best bet is advanced auto, which can get me a reman for 215. Since it's local, im going to go drain it and make sure i pay all of my bills before i replace that. If there are any specific things i should look out for when replacing it that arent mentioned in the service manual, id be happy to hear them. I know that ill be dealing with some potentially rusty bolts.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 PM

a good service manual should have all the instructions.. if you get stomped ,,ask away ,, also make sure to remove the bolts at the lower steering wheel shaft joint before you lift the car up to remove the rack .

Old 04-04-2007, 02:45 AM

ah, alright, hopefully i can get working on it this weekend. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:43 AM

I just thought of something, in the service manual, on 11-47 step 14, is that the cable connected to the transmission? Thats what i could gather, since it would probably be in the way, but the manual isnt real specific on that point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing steering rack?