Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

subframe bushing or strut - 98 accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default subframe bushing or strut - 98 accord

my 98 accord 4 cyl has had the lower front ball joints replaced on both side. I had the front motor mount replaced. After that it is still making a rattling noise under the front of the car.

the guy who replaced the motor mount noticed one of the nuts from the subframe was backed out a bit so he tightened it and claimed that the bushings (or lack thereof) is what is causing the noise. Since I could not find any from advance/auto zone/amazon, I went to an auto shop who lifted the car and showed me a bushing (or something) at the top of the drivers side strut is separated.

1. what would cause the nut on the subframe/body mount to back off?
2. are there bearings between the subframe and frame? if so, why can't I find any?
3. could the strut be the only source of noise under the car?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default subframe bushing or strut - 98 accord

The first picture is the stuff at the top of the front shocks. Do you see the part that's loose or broken?

There are bushings between the subframes & the body. Maybe they are dealer-only parts?

Look at the 2nd picture. There's a large cross-beam (#1) at the lower control arms. There's also another cross-beam (#9) closer to the radiator. I think those 2 are bolted to each other without bushings, but the bushings are between each of them to the car body.

Oh yeah... your 3rd question. I wouldn't presume that you have ONLY ONE source of noise. You have to look at any of the possibilities.

Attached Thumbnails subframe bushing or strut - 98 accord-1998-frontshock.gif   subframe bushing or strut - 98 accord-1998-subframes.gif  
Old 08-31-2016, 08:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

For the strut, looks like #11. I should've taken a picture

I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and ask about those bushings.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Can someone help me with this? Why is it that items 6-8 are not available for a 4cyl AT accord (98) though the schematic is for an accord?
Items 50231-S87-A00, 50232-S87-A00 and 50232-SL4-000

Old 09-24-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried looking up a "strut mount" for your accord?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Have you tried looking up a "strut mount" for your accord?
That's my next route. Thanks

Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Let us know how it works out,,,,again I just did a quick google search for "strut mount" and saw serveral choices/options.

If you are going to have to have the bushings replaced, if the car has age and miles on it and the struts have never been replaced....for the money/time/effort to replace those bushings, you might look into "loaded struts" and just replace the entire thing....strut, spring, bushings, mount.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
If you are going to have to have the bushings replaced, if the car has age and miles on it and the struts have never been replaced....for the money/time/effort to replace those bushings, you might look into "loaded struts" and just replace the entire thing....strut, spring, bushings, mount.
That's the same as a "quick strut"? I've looked at that before. That seems the only resort.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, they go by different names....that and I'm getting old and can't remember names.

The bushings can be bought....I'm just saying that one would need to remove the strut, mount and that to even get to them....so why not just replace the whole thing - again assuming they are old and probably getting worn.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Most definitely. I bought the car new and can assure the struts haven't been replaced before. Mechanic guy swears it's the bushings and insulators between the subframe and frame but since I can't get any parts, that leads me to the struts.
Thanks a lot!!

Quick Reply: subframe bushing or strut - 98 accord