Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

suspension question

Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Default suspension question

OK, I am new to this board, and oddly I cannot see any threads in this forum.

I don't know if that is by design or what...but I need some advice.

I have a '93 Accord with about 290,000 miles on it, 5-spd. Been an awesome car.

About 75,000 miles ago I got a new suspension for it. Bought Bilstein shocks and some standard TRW springs from Advanced Auto Parts. Had a local shop put it all on.

When I got the car back there was a huge amount of wheel gap and I noticed the car started getting a solid 6-7MPG less than it used to. I used to be able to go almost 500 miles on a tank and afterwards it was more like 400. Significant drop.

That was 2 years ago. The car has been solid since then. The new suspension rides just fine; the wheel gap has settled some but is still noticeable; and it's been getting a consistent 29MPG instead of the almost 36 it used to.

A couple of years ago I bought an Eibach Pro-kit spring set. I was going to replace the TRW springs with them to see if my mileage would improve back to what it was prior to the new suspension, but I chickened out. I need a reliable car more than anything, as I commute roughly 125 miles per day to and from work.

Now I am seriously considering having these springs put on to see if my mileage comes back. I miss the car that got 36MPG on the stock suspension. My first and foremost priority is to have a car that is reliable and bulletproof. But I wish I could have my mileage back. I don't care about looks and I'd like to keep my costs to a minimum.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Would my Bilsteins hold up with the lower springs? Would I need to get a camber adjustment kit to make it reliable? Would it work at all? Should I just buy another brand of 'stock' springs and have those installed? Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM

i would just get stock springs and struts from honda, thats your best bet if you want to keep your car at the same specs as it was before, assuming the suspension in it was stock before you changed it.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

How about alignment after the new parts were installed? That can screw up mileage.

Too much tire gap?? Either you got the wrong springs, or when you bought the car it had non-stock springs (with a drop).

Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

How about alignment after the new parts were installed? That can screw up mileage.

Too much tire gap?? Either you got the wrong springs, or when you bought the car it had non-stock springs (with a drop).