Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Welded balljoints or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Default Welded balljoints or not

I was reading a forum about the front upper contral arm balljoint (don't remember if it was this forum or another) and there was an argument whether the balljoint was permanently welded or attached to the arm or merely fastened on a certain way and could be removed. Some people swore that it was attached while others said it was removable. Which of the two is correct? I would figure the ball joint DOES come off since camber kits are out there that offer balljoints for the UCA (Ingalls, SPC). Can anyone confirm this?
*Note: I'm not talking about the two anchor bolts that bolt up the control arm to the car.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Welded balljoints or not

you have a 94-97 right? no the upper joint is part of that control arm, if the joint ever becomes loose, the whole thing needs to be replaced.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:15 AM

Actually its a 92 LX and by the sound of the 94 I don't think ima like what the response is going to b.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:39 PM

I know that on some cars, the ball joints are riveted to the control arms. You grind the rivets off and the ball joint comes out and you install the new ball joints with a nut and bolt. Thats how it is on the old Nova i worked on and the old (67) Mustang i've worked on.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:43 PM

if its a 92 then they are definately part of that upper control arm. i have a 91 with 250k on it and im still using the original ones. they usually dont go out its the bottom ones that do

Old 03-24-2006, 10:12 PM

Yeah I know about the rivetted ones you're talking about AgentofDarkness but I dont think these are rivetted which sounds good at first but in the end, they actually are permanently on like lightshow said. I confirmed this today when I took off the control arm. Not only are both my joints busted (leaking grease) but I'ma have to get a set of control arms in which the balljoints CAN come off. So far I'm asking some people on ebay if they can confirm this for me. I know SPC sells arms that I would like since they sell anchor bolts and balljoint camber kits for the front UCA but they run about $100 for each arm [:@] . Maybe some people that have bought some control arms from ebay can confirm this as well. 250K on the accord! hehe, thats nice man. I only hope my baby goes that far and you say your joints are still good, damn man. I think the lower ones I have probably need replacing as well. I plan on switching everything out eventually but my biggest concern now is being able to put in these balljoint camber kits on both arms. Thanks for the responses fellas.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 PM

leaking grease does not mean that they are bad...play in the joint means that they are bad. when grease comes out of the lower one, usually the boot is busted.. but in that energy kit that you got there are new boots in there. just to say again seeing grease is not bad dont worry about it.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:07 PM

I know for a fact there is no play on the upper joints but the boots are ripped pretty bad(hence the leaking grease) and I needa replace these bad boys with the Ingalls ball joints.