Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

17's or 18's

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:05 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default 17's or 18's

[8D]Hello All

Im planning on buying some black rims of the above sizes with a chrome/polished lip (there are some links in the wanted section of rims that i liked). But I am also open to other options, so if you know of some cool ones let me know! I think ill have around $400 for them so eBay will be my friend no doubt!
-Do you think the black w/ polished lip will look good on a bordeaux red Accord? Or will it kind of blend in b/c its a somewhat darker color? Thats why I am debating.
-I know its been asked before, but will I need better brakes? My steering wheel already shakes when I apply the brakes. :-( grrr
-And how much would tires be for 17's or 18's? W/e is the cheapest. I dont think ill need more then 40k miles, well maybe i will...idk. I wont be using the rims in the winter though, so ill have 2 put my steelies on.
-is the ride going to be ridicously rough?
-If I have 18's or 17's and 2 or 3 people in the back seat, will my tires be rubbing on that support arm thingy?
-Will the look okay on a non-lowered car?
Would I need a camber kit, w/e that is?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2007, 09:47 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: 17's or 18's

Help!

Old 07-01-2007, 01:02 PM

I'd say go for 17's because it's perfect for the accord. I know some people who had 18 who hated it. I couldn't believe it either that 1" could make that much of a difference but it does. You can just change all four wheels and nothing will go wrong really. It'll ride fine. The only thing that changed in my car when I got my 17's is for some reason when I brake I hear this whirling sound that's unusual.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'd go with 17s. There will be a noticealbe drop in ride quality when you go to larger rims. Plus, the cost of tires goes up exponentially.

I have 19" stock rims on my M3, and my snows are 17s. Car rides quite a bit smoother with the additional sidewall. However, it does squirm more too.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

So if I went with 18's the ride would be much worse than 17's?
How much is the price diff between 1 inch?
Is it going to look okay? I thought alot of people on here that got 17's wish they would have gotten 18's.
Do they make 18' tires with a larger sidewall?
Also, what is a camber kit and would I need it?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

So if I went with 18's the ride would be much worse than 17's?
How much is the price diff between 1 inch?
Is it going to look okay? I thought alot of people on here that got 17's wish they would have gotten 18's.
Do they make 18' tires with a larger sidewall?
Also, what is a camber kit and would I need it?

Thanks
1. it would be a bit rougher since there is less sidewall.
2. Check tire rack.
3. In the end its your call.
4. Yes, but I would assume that you want to keep the overall outside diameter the same to minimize speedo error.
5. A camber kit allows you to tailor some of the alignment settings very closely, however I think you only need that when you drop quite a bit. Others know more.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:21 PM

I don't know why but I've had 4 people who have told me they had 18" and they hated it. They all have 17" now (which made me get 17"), and they say it is A LOT better. The only thing is, these were all different cars. One example is:

My cousin had a 95 Acura Integra with 18" ---- he hated it, it got stolen
He then switched to a 97 Mitsubishi Eclipse with 17" ----he loved it, and made me get 17" too.

Although they were different cars, he really advocated against 18". Who knows.