Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

2008 Accord Coupe V6 - Best riding tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Default 2008 Accord Coupe V6 - Best riding tires

I'm researching new tires for my 2008 Accord Coupe V6 (aka Sasha) and found this forum and quite a bit of excellent information, so thanks already for the help just from prior posts!

What do you recommend for the best riding tire?

I'm in Atlanta and if it snows, Sasha & I stay in the house. My primary criteria is smooth & quiet since I spend 90% of my time on the highway. High-performance handling sounds nice, but if I have to trade off, I'll take the comfort.

Current tires are original:
  • Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 (P235/45R18)
  • Tread wear 300
  • Traction A
  • Temperature A

I've been pleased with these tires, but wouldn't mind upgrading a little. They have 61,000 miles on them and about 1/16" before hitting the tread wear indicator, so I have time to find a great set of tires!

What do you think? What's a great tire that fits what I described?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by DaveK; 11-19-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: fixed name of tire
Old 11-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by DaveK
I'm researching new tires for my 2008 Accord Coupe V6 (aka Sasha) and found this forum and quite a bit of excellent information, so thanks already for the help just from prior posts!

What do you recommend for the best riding tire?

I'm in Atlanta . My primary criteria is smooth & quiet since I spend 90% of my time on the highway. High-performance handling sounds nice, but if I have to trade off, I'll take the comfort.

Current tires are original:
  • Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 (P235/45R18)
  • Tread wear 300
  • Traction A
  • Temperature A
I've been pleased with these tires, but wouldn't mind upgrading a little. They have 61,000 miles on them and about 1/16" before hitting the tread wear indicator, so I have time to find a great set of tires!

What do you think? What's a great tire that fits what I described?

Thanks,
Dave
Hey Dave. I am also a resident of Metro Atlanta (Decatur/DeKalb Area) I am familiar with the tires above as they were on my used 2007 SE V6 when I bought it. I bought the Michelin Primacy MXV4 (V-rated) over a year ago as the OEM tires were worn out and would recommend them highly! I have also heard good things about the replacement tire for the Pilot- the Michelin Primacy MXM4. Go to Tire Rack and look at their tests along with the reviews and surveys that customers provide from their experiences with tires they have bought. Both of the tires above rate very well on Tire Rack along with the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. Good luck searching!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by GeoAccordZantac
Hey Dave. I am also a resident of Metro Atlanta (Decatur/DeKalb Area) I am familiar with the tires above as they were on my used 2007 SE V6 when I bought it. I bought the Michelin Primacy MXV4 (V-rated) over a year ago as the OEM tires were worn out and would recommend them highly! I have also heard good things about the replacement tire for the Pilot- the Michelin Primacy MXM4. Go to Tire Rack and look at their tests along with the reviews and surveys that customers provide from their experiences with tires they have bought. Both of the tires above rate very well on Tire Rack along with the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. Good luck searching!
Thanks for the info! Glad to hear from a fellow Atlantan - you understand the interstate traveling! What does "V-rated" mean?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear from a fellow Atlantan - you understand the interstate traveling! What does "V-rated" mean?

I searched for the MXV4 and P235/45R18 Size Tires | Michelin Tires says that tire doesn't come in my size... will keep searching for "v-rated"...

Dave

Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

What does "V-rated" mean?
Dave that is the speed rating for the tire. See article from Tire Rack below:
How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

Speed Rating
In Germany some highways do not have speed limits and high speed driving is permitted. Speed ratings were established to match the speed capability of tires with the top speed capability of the vehicles to which they are applied. Speed ratings are established in kilometers per hour and subsequently converted to miles per hour (which explains why speed ratings appear established at "unusual" mile per hour increments). Despite the tire manufacturer's ability to manufacturer tires capable of high speeds, none of them recommend the use of their products in excess of legal speed limits. The maximum operating speed of a vehicle must be limited to the lowest speed rated tire on the vehicle.
Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met.
Beginning in 1991, the speed symbol denoting a fixed maximum speed capability of new tires must be shown only in the speed rating portion of the tire's service description, such as 225/50R16 89S. The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:
S112 mph180 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
T118 mph190 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
U124 mph200 km/h
H130 mph210 km/hSport Sedans & Coupes
V149 mph240 km/hSport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars
Most Accords (of any generation) have tires that are T, H or V speed rated. The newer Accords have tire with a V rating, some people say you can put H-rated tires on them instead. Big debate about this on auto forums and elsewhere. Tire Rack is a good source of info like this, and is a sponsor of this forum! You can contact them through this forum or on their website to find out more.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Did a quick search on Tire Rack for the tires in your size
Tire Search Results
I looked just at All-Weather tires, removed Summer tires and Winter tires friom list. There are 19 tires available, including both the Pilot and the Primacy MXM4. Use the research tools and see if there are any others that would be worth considering. Good luck!