Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Acura Tl rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Your LX has steelies, and the lug nuts have a little plastic ring around them, to hold the wheel-cover on. That's the only thing wrong with your existing lug nuts.

You could simply take that plastic ring off when you use them (just guessing it might not fit well inside the aluminum rims). Or buy another set of nuts for these wheels. Are you going to use the steelies for winter tires?

Old 04-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

PS... 2003 Accord EX comes stock with 16" wheels (same 6.5" width as those Civic wheels) and 205/60-R16 tires. So the width is good for the Accord tire size. I don't really know about the load rating.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:27 PM

205/60/R16 are the sizes recommended for a TL acura. I never thought about load rating. Are 16" wheels common on a lot of honda mfg. I would think they are and some even bigger. As far as the lugs I figured they would be different than anything going on a steel wheel. I've mostly dealt with American cars.
But if they work and fit correctly I'll use them or just get new ones. I was going to buy new tires at Costco but they will not warranty them since the car calls for a 15" rim. Picture is from 03 Acura TL I saw at local bone yard

Old 04-27-2020, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

I know what you mean about the different nuts. But I think Honda uses nuts with the same seat angle for aluminum & steel wheels. It looks like you already have the wheels, right? Take a wheel nut from your car & see how it fits into the seat of the rim.

Or you could just get a set of nuts for the Accord EX. Or better yet, for the Civic EX. Same thread, and the only question in my mind is the tapered seat on the nut. It's usually aftermarket wheels that take nuts with a different seat.

I know how tire stores can be, but if you had a 2003 Accord EX (about the same weight car) it would come with 16" aluminum wheels and it would have a sticker in the door jamb with the 16" tire size. Actually, if you have the owners manual it should come with a table showing the different tire sizes for DX, LX, EX, etc.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I thought Honda switched to acorn nuts for all there cars a while back and were using the same ones no matter if you had alloy or steel.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes and no... For his 2003, I THINK(?) the cone-end of the nuts and the cone-seat in the wheels is the same (regardless of steel vs. aluminum), so in concept the nuts are the same. I guess "acorn" is the term because I think its sorta spherical rather than conical. TireRack calls them ball/radius.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech...jsp?techid=102

Then the only thing different is whether or not the nuts have the little plastic ring that holds the wheel cover on. And whether that plastic ring fits down into the clearance-holes of the aluminum rim. If you have to take that plastic ring on & off (for winter & summer wheels) then it'll probably break before too long.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Thanks for the clarity. I forget about the hub caps and plastic ring.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:53 PM

Thanks Jim And Shipo I really appreciate your help. Yes I see these rims are actually on the EX model. Maybe if I just tell them it's a EX they will honor the warranty. The badges are missing anyway. Unless they put the vin in and it tells them. Either way I will have them on the car regardless of warranty. Thanks again guys

Old 04-28-2020, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Check out what TireRack can do. On one hand they have local "installer" shops that you might talk to (they have customer-ratings for these shops). Or, you can shop tires on line and have a print-out showing 2003 Accord EX with 205/60 R16 tires.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:17 PM

Yeah sounds good. I've never used tire rack always go to Sam's or Costco. Now shopping for tires. I hate it. I Always read reviews and it drives me crazy. What is excellent for one person is horrible for the next. Always bought Michelin now a 60k tire is only getting 30k according to some. About 500 for all four with a deal that expires today .

Quick Reply: Acura Tl rims