Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Bad wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Default Bad wheel wobble

So lately I've started getting a pretty bad wobble in the wheel when I brake from around 65mph. It's especially bad when the wheel is turned and I'm braking, like while going around a turn on the highway.

My rotors are all in good shape, fronts were turned last year and both rears are brand new. Pads are good, Duralast Gold all around at about 85% and they're wearing perfectly flat so no problem there. Wheels were aligned recently as well. I'm going to go get the tires balanced soon, is this a symptom of out of balance tires? I don't see how it would be since it only happens while braking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's getting to the point where I don't drive fast anymore because the wheel wobbles so violently when I slow down

Last edited by Peli; 07-04-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Vibration under hard braking is usually warped or glazed rotors. You need to measure runout on the rotor to confirm it's good, just saying so doesn't confirm anything.

Other possible, but less likely causes are loose ball joints or suspension parts. If you confirm rotors are good, suggest performing a detailed suspension inspection looking for loose parts.

good luck

Old 07-04-2011, 07:38 PM

My rotors have been inspected by two different shops at my request while having work done there and neither found any problem with them, same with the pads, both ASE certified techs who have done a significant amount of honest work for me in the past so I trust their judgement. I'll have to take a look at the suspension parts sometime this week.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Check your lug nut torque by loosening all lug nuts and retightening with a torque wrench to the specified torque (which is probably 80 ft-lbs).

Old 07-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by tradosaurus
Check your lug nut torque by loosening all lug nuts and retightening with a torque wrench to the specified torque (which is probably 80 ft-lbs).
had a friend what this problem and it turned out to be loose lug nuts but then it happened again and it turned out to be the tie rods.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 PM

That's good to know. The lug nut torque is an easy check to narrow down the causes of wheel wobble.

You would be surprised how many new vehicles come with overtorqued lug nuts.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:17 PM

So I took my car in to the shop today and my mechanic was surprised to see me there asking for a rotor measurement again, but he did it for me. He was even more surprised when the rotors did, in fact, turn out to be pretty badly warped. Must have happened somehow in the past 3 months So right now he's starting work on it.

What genius at Honda thought up the hub-over-rotor system? Thanks for the extra labor Gonna be replacing the rotors pads and bearings while it's all taken apart.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Default Vibration when braking

Always have the rotors machined ON the car. I've had rotors machined perfectly true off the vehicle, but when they're mounted, minor imbalances or mounting just a hair out of true can cause uneven pressure and heat buildup that causes them to warp again in short order.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I only use/recommend using Honda rotors on the front. The aftermarket vented rotors tend to warp/overheat a lot easier from what I've seen on my customer's cars (I work in an Acura service department.) Just fyi more than anything. Also, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to cut the rotors on the front with an on-car brake lathe!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, cheap Chinese rotors are often the cause of rotor hot spots or warping, regardless of brand of vehicle. I recommend to either stick with the OEM rotors or top quality replacements like Brembo.