Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Corroded OEM alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 PM
Default Corroded OEM alloy wheels

Within 3 years after I bought it new, the allow wheels on my Accord started corroding. I brought it to the Honda dealer to have them look them over and they said it was cosmetic, not covered by any warranty.

See what they look like now in the attachment. The car is still in great shape but it looks terrible because of the rims. I am very upset at Honda for such poor quality.

This is a 2006 Accord SE.

I dont see why I should have to shell out 6-800 for wheels because they used such crap at the factory!

Attached Thumbnails Corroded OEM alloy wheels-honda_accord_wheel.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ferllyr
Within 3 years after I bought it new, the allow wheels on my Accord started corroding. I brought it to the Honda dealer to have them look them over and they said it was cosmetic, not covered by any warranty.

See what they look like now in the attachment. The car is still in great shape but it looks terrible because of the rims. I am very upset at Honda for such poor quality.

This is a 2006 Accord SE.

I dont see why I should have to shell out 6-800 for wheels because they used such crap at the factory!
Those wheels look positively pristine compared to the wheel corrosion on my 2001; wanna trade?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Do you go thru car wash's with wire wheel cleaning brush's. ?
That is not good looking at all..Maybe bad cleaning product with too much caustic acid cleaner in it.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 AM

No, the only car wash I go through does not have apply any caustic cleaner to the wheels nor does it use any sort of wire brush cleaner. I commonly used Simple Green to remove brake dust, but I cant imagine that product caused this.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Default Corroded Wheels

I don't find where you're located, assuming heavy salt country in winter? I checked Simple Green Cleaner, and if you're spraying it on full strength that could be the problem. They're usage directions are 1oz SG to 1cup water for heavy cleaning(BBQ grills etc.): to 1oz/ 4 cups water for light cleaning(aluminum siding, car wash, etc). I'm in Wisconsin(Heavy Winter salt) my 2004 Accord EXL alloys have corrosion, but its almost all near the outside lip of the rims. Appears that something ate the clearcoat off most of your wheel surfaces, could have been the cleaner. Let us know if thats likely, so others can be forewarned. Sorry this happened to you!! Don

Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM

I use a dilute mixture of simple green, not sure exactly the concentration but I would guess about 1 part SG to 5 parts water. I also used it on 3 other cars that have aluminum alloy wheels with no corrosion (99 Volvo V70, 04 Honda Civic SI and BMW 325i) over a long period of time.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've also used various cleaners (including SG) on wheels. But on Honda clearcoated wheels, all you need is a small nick (stone chip) and the clearcoat begins to peel. The corrosion creeps underneath the clearcoat & I can't figure out how to stop it.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 PM

This is why I love my Wal-Mart wheel covers

Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM

Same problem with my wife's 2006 EX-L. Similar and very dissappointing dealer response!

Has anyone wire brushed them clean? and if so, what is the best coating if any to finish them? Is there a clear coat or lacquer or is it better just to leave them as "aluminum" and buff next year too?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 PM

When I am ready to replace my accord, I will bring it to the dealership , tell them I am now ready for another new car. show them my corroded wheels , remind them of their crappy response, and let them know that is why I wont be buying another Honda.

The alloys on my wife's 08 Outback have been cleaned and maintained the same as my Accord and they are in perfect condition

Quick Reply: Corroded OEM alloy wheels