Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

How much to change the brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
jenefa
Unregistered
Default How much to change the brake pads

Hello All,

My Accord 2000 is making screeing noise, when i hit brakes and turn. A mechanic in Tires only, laurel, said that it would cost $ 140.00
Change it.

How much should i pay to have this brake pads changed.

do you recommend any good place to do it. I live in Laurel, colleg park area.

thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How much to change the brake pads

Best bet is DIY. I think front pads cost me about 60-70 bucks. I used Hawk HPS.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:16 PM

Get good pads, they're the only thing between you and the car/object in front of you.... besides airbags :-/. DIY is fairly easy and well worth it. Expect to pay $50+ per pair if you get Honda OEM or better + labor... Should only be an hour in labor, or 2 if the mechanic sucks.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 PM

yeah, 60-70 if you use PREMIUM pads...

You can go to Autozone and get front pads for 30-40... Granted they dust a lot, but if cost is a factor then you'll get over it real quick.

Also, changing disc breaks are one of the easiest things to do on your car, aside from driving it (although with some people on the road there might be an argument against that).

When's the last time you had them changed? Reason I ask is it could be a glazed rotor or pad causing the squelching and doesn't actually need replacement.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM

Just go out and buy the pads and if you DIY and see that they don't need to be changed quite yet, just keep the pads for a rainy day.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 PM

I've had good experiances with Hawk HPS, Axis Metalmasters (I think they're called premium now), EBC Redstuff (friend's car) and Raysbestos ...... that's all I can think of off hand, but I think it's a good start for a list of good pads.

I don't have experiance with these, but I'd expect them to be good too: Brembo, AEM

Old 09-08-2008, 12:45 PM

I've heard the redstuff pads are crap...

ORIGINAL: FallenAngelHIM @ 6GA
My final comment and observations from today is this: the Honda Accord that we have is not a track car. It can be a track car with a lot of money, but still it would be too much. Coilovers are a complete waste of money. EBC brake pads suck d***. Dustless brake pads have a lot (and I do mean A LOT) less braking power than brake pads that create dust. Tires, stainless steel brake lines, wheels (who makes them and will they withstand the G's of a turn), and rotors are the most important upgrade on a car.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s...+school&page=4

3/4 of the way down...

Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 PM

I've seen reports about people getting squealing from the Redstuff pads, but my best friend has them on his SI and they don't make a peep. The bite is pretty strong too.

I take people's complaints about squeeky brake pads with a grain of salt because I don't think most do the anti-squeal right. When I bought the Accord, I forced the dealership that I bought it from to pay Honda to do their certification check-up on it, negate the extended warrantee through them and buy me one from Honda all because after 3 tries, they couldn't get the pads to stop squealing ..... 3 times = lemon law.

Also, in the past few years, all pads have the anti-squeal shims that never work. I still buy anti-squeal grease and coat the pads before installing them. The rubbery stuff was better than the grease, but it's hard to find.