Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

need tires help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:58 PM
dixiecup
Unregistered
Default need tires help

I have a 2005 honda ex v6. bought it brand new...never really been all that happy with it...It drives like a lincoln not like my previous hondas or acura? The cabin noise is terrible and it does not handle well, just does not have that honda feel to it..why? I have to get some new tires, someone suggested the tires that the car came with may be my problem so HELP what kind of tires do I need? I do not know anything about tires???or cars for that matter...needing advise?

Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Default RE: need tires help

what kind of conditions do you drive in primarily? As a brand name I'm a huge fan of Falken, the Falken Azenis are good tires for a track like feel and good in water. The reason is because they have a softer rubber, this means better grip but the wear out faster. The Falken Ziex are more of an all-season style tire and give you a better tread life.

On any tire you look at there should be a "treadwear:XX" rating. The higher that number is the harder the tire is, the less grip you get through a corner but the more life you get out of a set.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 PM

Your description of the way the car drives is vague and you admit you know nothing about cars. What did you drive before that you are comparing it to? Do you expect a Corvette from a mainstream Honda? Is it a sedan or coupe? What engine? Which transmission? You need to provide some information here.How long have you been driving? Something just ain't right here............

Old 02-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Hello New Member..
1st thing you need to do is to read off the brand name of your tires from the sidewall and then the tire size from the sidewall and we can see where to go from there...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
dixiecup
Unregistered

My car is the 2005 honda accord exl 4 door v6 sedan automatic, my previous car was an accura also a 4 door sedanbefore that a 93 accord ex 4 door sedanand before that another accord...I have the mich. energyMXV4that came on the 2005 honda...it just does not feel like a honda...more like my Granmoms linclon? and noisy! Several people have driven it and agree??? but no one really knows what I should do other than sell it and get something else and I really cannot do that right now. I live in Nashville, and guess that I would be needing an all season tire...I get a discount o bridgestone-firestone tires but have always replaced my tires with the same tires that came on the car (usually the Mich that come on hondas)this is the first time I am looking into other tires which is why I was asking for advice. I usually go thru tires quickly but these have lasted for 36k miles (unusual) I would rather they were quiet and feel good than last for a long time although I would rather not be replacing tires every 12 mos either? Yes, I agree I know nothing about cars and/or tires thats why I am aking a Honda forum, to get help.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM

If you are sitting in your driveway stopped, in neutral and rev the engine is it loud inside the car? Or is the loudness only noticeable when driving down the road?

Are you the first owner and is there an aftermarket exhuast or intake on it?

Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 AM
dixiecup
Unregistered

I will go sit in the car and see? I have not really thought about it? It was brand new when I got it and has had no modifications...will get back later today.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 AM

Just as a side note (until we hear back) if you ever have a car that's horribly noisy inside the "cabin" you can put dynomat (commonly used for competition stereos) on the firewall and inside your front doors and it will drastically reduce the engine noise that you hear....

Let us know what you find out!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
dixiecup
Unregistered

OK I will look into that stuff! Thanks! I sat in the car and did not really notice the noise being so bad...revved the engine and yes I herd it but I do not think that is not the problem...only when driving am I really bothered with the noise, especially when on the interstate, then I cannot have a conversation at all and I have to turn the radio up really loud to be able to hear it. Maybe I am really picky but I do not remember ever having this problem before, the people at the dealership checked the seals areound the door and just shrugged their shoulders...since I am a woman they are just not wanting to hear me, I guess?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Dealerships generally have an issue with "noise" problems just because what's noisy to one person is quiet to another and ear sensitivity differs, so even if it sounds off to the dealership SOME tehcs will just write it off as not being an issue.

If the engine isn't that noisy when sitting then you are either hearing excessive wind noise or tire noise. On either 1010tires.com, discounttires.com or tirerack.com they have noise ratings for each of the tires, look yours up and see what they are rated at. For example tirerack users gave them a 7.7 out of 10 or good rating for noise.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ergy+MXV4+Plus

At this point you have about 5 options that I can think of in the order I'd try them:

1) test drive another car like yours and see if it's the same
2) buy new tires with a better "noise rating"
3) Dynomat
4) Live with it
5) Sell it