Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

New 2011 Accord - Vibration!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Default New 2011 Accord - Vibration!!

OK, guys this is bugging me ... a lot:

Just bought a 2011 Accord back in September. From day 1 it's had a vibration from 67-71mph. I even look over at the passenger seat and the seatback shakes. The steering wheel shakes, but it varies ... sometimes it does it, other times it doesn't. It's totally random: under load, coasting, left curve, right curve, downhill, uphills, concrete freeways, asphalt onramps, etc. Can't find a definitive denominator.

1. Took it back to dealer 1 with 500 mi on the odo. Had them do a regular balance. 1 was out .25oz, no biggie. I used to work at Goodyear in college so I know .25oz most likely won't cause anything. Didn't help.

2. Took to dealer 2 with Hunter 9700RF machine. One of the rims had minor runout, and a tire (not on that rim) had a very bit minor (6lb) runout. Both passed, rebalanced it anyway to 0.00 in and out, all 4 tires. Requested final printout from Hunter to verify ... satisfied it should have eliminated shimmy. Didn't help.

What to do next? Everything stock. I have the steel rims with Honda wheel covers. This is starting to get annoying, and about to upgrade to stock rims. Car now has 1,600mi on the odo ... don't know what to do next nor if further balances help. I don't have time nor the patience to go back to the dealer over, and over again .... and I guess I'm looking for experience and/or advice. Is this a widespread problem or should I just sell the car asap?

Thanks. This is my first Honda - longtime GM owner of 3800 L67 motors and recently a Cadillac CTS. Never this kind of problem, and even being .25oz out should not give a shimmy... I know that. I may cross-post (please don't blast) in your competing forum just to get some more exposure for ideas.

Help!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If vibration does not occur at other speeds, the vibration must be related to the drive train speed alone. Perhaps one of the CV axles vibrates at this speed range. I would be firm but insistent w/ Honda.

You may want to establish a basis for a "lemon-law" complaint. You will need to understand your rights and requirements to file such a claim in your state.

good luck

Old 10-29-2011, 03:41 PM

Thanks TexasHonda. I'll go back to the dealer over and over again ... it's just with the new ownership experience (and first one for Honda, at that), that makes me sigh with disbelief that I signed on to a multi-visit issue. I know I'll have to go back to see if the problems are the wheels, tires, rotors, bearings, CV axles, tie rods, steering rack, etc. Geez, what else rotates in there ... I have a 5M so at least I can rule out a torque convertor (hopefully, can someone confirm?). And of course, to replace or do each of those will be a visit in the morning, 25 miles worth of test-drive on the odometer, someone picking me up, then me driving and arguing it isn't it, going back a few more times before they agree to replace the part, and if that isn't it, then lather-rinse-and-repeat to the next part. It's more the time-sink I'm grossed-out on. Yuck.

Hopefully it won't be that bad. A friend of mine used to litigate lemon law issues on cars --- it's not my practice area but I get it enough to be dangerous ... though at the end of the day, it just takes away from the ownership experience which is designed to be relatively hands-off! I get having to go in once in a while, but I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be months-years' worth of an issue. I'd hate to go legal for stuff like this.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Default Honda Accord is the worst!

This is my first accord after driving Nissans for 10 years. At 2400 miles I started to see the steering wheel shaking as describes in this thread and I took the car in for service for 6 times so far. Last time they almost didn't want to take the car saying that what I experience is "normal" and all cars have that shaking in the steering wheel. What a load of BS... I can't believe Honda is allowing dealers to treat customers this way. I've already talked to a lawyer and will seek relief under the lemon law.