Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

2009 V6 EX TPMS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Default 2009 V6 EX TPMS Issue

Hi, All -
I've read WheelBrokerAng's various threads on the TPMS and have learned a lot about what these sensors do, why they're supposed to be useful, etc. Very helpful, thank you. What I'm missing is if my regular mechanic can replace the sensor and all will be right with the world, or if I have to go to my dealer and have them program the new sensor. The car is still under warranty, but if it's a cheap and easy replacement, it would be easier than sitting around a dealership all day.

Also - is there some easy way to determine which sensor has gone bad? I've got a couple of multimeters and sometimes know how to use them....any reading I can take that'll pinpoint the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know about programming, I suspect you have to get the programming. Incidentally, you don't program the sensor, you program the car to recognize the new sensor.

The sensors don't work unless they're spinning. To save their battery life, they have a little switch that's activated by the centrifugal force of the spinning wheel. That makes it hard to test it with a meter.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Administrator
Talking Hi Member and Hi Jim :)

If you using a repudiable tire store, they will have the programmers to get the job done for you correctly. Did you replace the tires?, have them rotated or What have you had done to be worried about them.?

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2012, 09:13 AM

Actually, I hadn't done anything when the TPMS light came on - hadn't rotated or replaced the tires at all. Just an indication that a sensor was bad. Dealer said the sensor wasn't bad, just needed to be reset. He did that and sent me on my way; halfway home, the light came back on. BACK to the dealer, who then replaced the bad sensor.

I guess my concern is that, like anything, these sensors will go kerplooey on their own over time. And from what I've been reading here, seems like it costs an arm and a leg (plus time) when you have to replace them. Just wondering if there's a way to have my usual mechanic (not the dealer) replace the sensor and then program the car to recognize the new sensor (thanks, JimBlake!), or if I have to go to the dealer every time.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

You can buy these from an aftermarket source and have a good tire shop install and program the new sensor, as stated. I just wanted to add that you don't have to buy one from the dealer IF one goes bad.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
You can buy these from an aftermarket source and have a good tire shop install and program the new sensor, as stated. I just wanted to add that you don't have to buy one from the dealer IF one goes bad.

That's perfect, thanks! Every day that I don't have to go sit in a dealership is a good day.