Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Nitto NeoGen

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:21 PM
stelorone
Unregistered
Default Nitto NeoGen

In April I purchased a new 2008 Accord EX-L V6 and promptly put on some after-market 18" rims and tires. The tires are Nitto NeoGen high-performance tires. Sweet looking tires with a great deal of grip in wet weather as well as dry.

The problem is that I have had issues with shimmy-ing and have had the tires balanced about 8 times since then (free with the purchase, but still...). The tire shop and I decided to swap out the original NeoGen's for a new set about 6 weeks ago. Same issues. These tires are speed rated V W.

Does anyone know if there are issues with the Honda's and specific tires? There was some talk at the shop about the possibility of the tires not really being compatible with the Honda. Sounds strange but after the 2nd set I'm beginning to wonder. I had an appointment for an alignment yesterday butwhen they put it on the machine there was no need for the alignment as the factory alignment was perfect.

Anyways, I'm now thinking about goign to different set of tires. I am looking at Falken FK 452 series.

Any comments or similar issue feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Default RE: Nitto NeoGen

well i work in a tire shop, and i have more experience in my shop with balancing problem tires then anyone else there, ask to have them "roadforced" and to give you a "runout" print out or to show you one of both the tires and the rims

ithe only way they are not gonna be compadable, is if the bolt pattern dosent match ur car(blame the tire shop) or if the tires are rubbing(also the tires shop fault)
it dosent matter what vechile they are on, if they fit without rubbing and have the correct bolt patter it dose not matter, they cant casue problems becasue the hubs on most if not all cars are the same, so its probably a bent or out of shape rim

i would recommend toyo proxies

Old 10-13-2008, 08:19 AM

Toyo Proxies FTW. Ive been running them since ive had my car and no complaints.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:04 AM
stelorone
Unregistered

Yeah my tire shop had them road forced and the same thing... a ton of shimmy. I had it in last week and they wanted to try one more thing - an alignment. Well... the factory alignment was perfect. So, I will be swapping out the rubber and trying something else.

It's wierd though how I've had 2 sets of tires that were both the same. Do you suppose that the rims could be at fault?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 PM
r0yalty
Unregistered

I have neogens on my honda prelude and I love Nittos... I will buy nothing else. I've had 3 nails in them and didn't know until i had my tires rotated. maybe it is your rims, does it happen on all 4?...and what do you mean by shimmying?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Did your wheels come with hub-centric rings? These take up the space that's left around the hub which stops the play in the wheels themselves, andAlso along with the ringsthey could try using a rachet to tighten the wheels down then using a torque wrench to do the final specs

Old 01-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Administrator

You may have hit the nail on the head here..most wheels are lug centric and do not come with Hub Centric rings...

That will and does cause shimmy in most wheels from the aftermarket scene..

WheelBrokerAng