Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Painting my rims

Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Painting my rims

I bought my accord with the current rims it has now. The previous owner did a bad job of painting them silver and I want to eventually change them to black or charcoal gray. What is easiest way to get all of the paint off? Should I repaint them with plastidip or spray paint?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The best way would be to take them off the car and remove the tires, find a local monument works and have them sand blast them back to the bare metal.
Most people can't go without the car that long so do what I did. I took them off the car 2 at a time in the garage, I used my spare and jackstands. I cleaned and carefully sanded the major stuff off, then taped up the tires used 2 coats of primer. Sand carefully with 400 sandpaper then I used Rustoleum High Performance Wheel Coating, 2 coats color with 2 coats of clear. Two on Saturday and two on Sunday, so by Monday morning the car was back on the road.
Also the dealer sells the H decals for the center caps for a couple of bucks each.

Last edited by MysticBlueEX; 06-06-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

I've used that stuff too with pretty good results. I started with a painted rim, so not sure about a Honda rim that's polished aluminum with peeling clearcoat. If that's your case, I'd probably get the coating taken completely off.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yea I thought about getting them sand blasted but I work two jobs and I need my car. They are not too dirty because I keep them so clean so sanding it should not be too bad. Thank you for the tips and the picture of the spray can. I cannot wait to get started! What type of spray paint did you use?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Almost A Senior Member

My opinion is that the wheel coatings from Rustoleum or Duplicolor are formulated to be more durable than your average spray can.
You really want to take your time and use the "Prep Cloth" that they sell with the paint. Also, you can lay on the primer kinda thick and gently sand with the 400 sandpaper between primer coats. You really must do this in order to get the top coat to lay down smoothly.
Also, use at least 2 coats of the clear to get the gloss to pop. You don't need to wait as long between the top coats and the clear coats, 1/2 hr between should do it.
As I recall I bought 2 cans each, primer, top coat and clear coat to do the 4 wheels. I did mine 2 years ago and they still look good, but are losing some of their gloss.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

much easier than taping off the wheels is using playing cards.

The card slip in behind the wheel between the rubber real easy and is much faster than trying to tape the rubber off.

The cheaper the cards the better they work, like the ones you can get from the dollar store

Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you so much for all of the tips. I cannot wait to start with my rims this summer. All of your tips have been so helpful. I hope to post pictures once they are done. Thanks again

Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

As far as removing the clearcoat vs. sanding it...
Make sure it isn't peeling. If any part is peeling, then it's gonna continue to peel regardless of how well you sand it.