Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

rims or no rims for winter tires for 08 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:28 AM
mlk3
Unregistered
Default rims or no rims for winter tires for 08 Accord?

What's your advice for whether to buy winter tires with rims or no rims. I was hoping to get tires with rims so that changing them over twice a year doesn't cost so much, plus the rims don't get damaged. However, because of the TPMS sensors I have learned that it will cost approx 50/sensor plus an extra $70 each tire change to reprogram the sensors (done only by Honda dealership). What do most people do when buying winter tires with the TPMS? (Another consideration is the quote I have for just tires - 17" Nokians - is approximately the same as for 16" tires with rims and sensors.... about $1200 all included. Appreciateany suggestions.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: rims or no rims for winter tires for 08 Accord?

When I had my winter tires I had them on steelies. Why not just get steelies and throw winters on them and hubcaps? Or if you want to get rims too, just run them without the TPMS. It shouldn't cause any issues except for the light on the dash.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:23 PM
mlk3
Unregistered

Apparently if there's no sensors then it throws the otehr safety features out, like the VSA is on all the time and can't be turned off. So I'm thinking of just buying tires but I'm leary of that because I just had a tire change (for a flat) and they scratched and put a couple little gouges along the outside of the rim already. By the way, is that a necessary thing or can that be avoided. (Female - know nothing about changing tires!)

Old 11-28-2008, 08:57 AM

They shouldn't leave any marks on the wheels if they know what they're doing. Having the VSA on all the time isn't necessarily a bad thing, the only reason I ever turn it off it to fool around in the snow... hehe.

If you want some justification to buying wheels and tires along with TPMS sensors: Winter tires will last about 4-6 winters depending on the roads. My Blizzaks had 40% tread left after 4 winters and some spring driving. As long as it's either cold out or there is snow/ice on the ground the tires will last like regular tires. What's nice about having them on a separate set of wheels is in the fall and spring when there are times where it snows heavily, but it doesn't stay on the ground or whatever, you can watch the weather and then just throw the snow tires on when you need to and take them off when you're done. That's what I did and it worked great for safety while extending the life of the winter tires.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:32 PM

rims.