Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tire review: Yokahama H4S 205/60/16

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Default Tire review: Yokahama H4S 205/60/16

Our 05 Accord came with crappy Bridgestone Turanza EL41 tires(205/60/16). I went to tire rack(www.tirerack.com) and looked at the survey opinions for this tire model and the first thing that scared me were people with MORE that 30k miles on their tires!!! One having run in excess of 90K MILES! Tires should be worn out in 30K miles! Treads are waaay to hard if they last longer, and if you make the treads last indefinately there is no obvious throw away signs. It is VERY important for tread to wear out because there is no easy way to tell when the sidewalls are shot. At least not for the common vehicle owner.

Anyway on to other things I've read a great deal about these tires, many people say they are unstable and they make a great deal of noise. They aren't the only ones, my biggest complaint is an unsteady wheel, and intolerable high pitched roar when on a road other then glass smooth.

I've ordered a set of Yokahama H4S tires, I had them on an altima, they were considerable more sure footed, and their "frequency" is a lower tone... at least they were on the Altima. I should be getting them very shortly, once I have them mounted and balanced, I'll report back with more info.
----------------------------------------
The following is my review of Yokahama H4S tires in 205/60/16. We purchased them from tire rack, with freight 4 tires came to $315.00, high speed mounting and balancing came to $50, total $365 or $92 per tire. The first thing was obvious the moment we left the tire store... STABILITY... that car went where pointed, there was no vague feeling that I had to keep correcting where I was pointed. I felt confident in steering and braking. We live in Portland, and people here use studded snows - for occasional ice, but the roads show the wear of studs... anyway, the noise coming from the old Turanza tires created by PDX roads was very loud and nearly tortuous in its persistance. The new tires lower the volume by about 15%, but more importantly they lower the pitch. It is no longer insane. There is also another advantage.... we had this annoying vibration in the drivers door... the vibration has gone away! Would I recommend these tires... Sure would... 2nd set, and the set on our 05 Accord just proves that the set on our older 95 Altima wasn't a fluke....

Old 09-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Could stand it no more

I put some Goodyear Comfortred on my '98 accord and they are warrantied for 80K They were very good and had excellent ride qaulity and very good grip.

If you are a reasonable driver it is not uncommon for tires to last 40,50,60 or even 70K. Rotation and proper pressure are the key to longevity

Old 09-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

83k and counting

*shifts eyes*

Hey...the "Tire Man" puts out pretty good products. MXV4 Energys.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 PM

If you are a reasonable driver it is not uncommon for tires to last 40,50,60 or even 70K. Rotation and proper pressure are the key to longevity
reasonable has nothing to do with it! Treads may now last 70K+ miles, but the tire degrades seriously as it ages and drives! There is NO tire anywhere that performs as well at 40k miles as it does NEW. (NEW means tread could be full height, or shaved, but the tire has yet to see any load.) Sidewalls take a serious beating, especially in roads beaten up by winter freeze. Just because the tread shows little sign of wear doesn't mean the tire isn't degrading!