Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Wheels for GO rather then SHOW

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Default Wheels for GO rather then SHOW

Hope some of you might have some ideas here.

Sometimes in the winter I feel like I live just north of the north pole!

I need to make my 91 Accord wagon into a snowmobile for where I live and would like to know your thoughts on the best size and tires money can buy to get it done.

I already bought a real nice set of new Bridgestone blizzaks on nice new rims and figured I had the answer. Too bad the 185X70X14 wheels and tires won't fit on the wagons front disc brakes. :-(((((

I know if I go too wide then I defeat the purpose. I don't know what I might gain or even if I can go to larger wheels.

I am often in 6-12 inches of unplowed mountain roads and need the maximum traction my wagon could get. I don't care if they are steel and ugly as long as I don't have to push it or get towed. I do hate studs and chains and need tires that can drive on dry pavement but be there when the going gets ruff.

Gary

Old 01-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Its not the wheels... Its the tires.

Normally you look for the stock size of the stripper version of your car. Like if there's a DX wagon or ??? I'm not sure if that would have picked up the 14" problem with your brakes? Try tirerack.com & put in your cars information.

My 07 Civic LX came with 16", but tirerack knew that I could fit 15".

I've used Dunlop WinterSport M3 tires on a few cars & I really like them. Not so mushy as the Blizzaks when the road is clean. But I haven't found anything better than Blizzaks for ICE. How often do you get ice?

For the Civic, I got WinterForce tires. Lower speed rating (SR) but a bit better in deep snow vs. the Dunlop M3. But the Dunlops are better for dry-road handling.

It's a trade-off but you never REALLY know until you've driven them; then it's too late to change your mind.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Thanks Jim.

Yes, I get ice here all winter long and agree with you about the spongy feeling the blizzaks have on dry roads but they sure do work great on the ice.

The 14 inch set of wheels and tires I got from Tire Rack would be perfect if the fronts would fit. Maybe there is a DX wagon that came with 14s and thats why I got steered wrong.

When I sell that set I will just go buy a 15 inch set of blizzaks and be done.

At this point there is no cash left to buy another whole set in the 15 inch size.

Gary

Old 01-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can't return the wheels to Tire Rack? You'd think they would let you if the wheels didn't fit and they said they would...

Also agree on spongy Blizzaks on dry roads, but they got me up the 20*, 60 yard driveway with 6" of snow where I was living at the time and I couldnt be happier with them. They also lasted 3-4 seasons and I drove them well into the spring.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM

No Finch, I bought them from a buddy who purchased them last winter but wrecked his Accord before he ever put them on.

Gary

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, it's like my 2001 Saab. Base & SE can take 15", but a Viggen has bigger brakes & can't take anything smaller than 16". Somehow, you have to KNOW these things.