West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Bay Area Reliable Shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Default Bay Area Reliable Shop

Hello Accord Members!

I am new to the Bay Area (and this forum) and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a known good Bay Area Honda shop? I hate taking my vehicles to the dealership unless I really have to.

I have recently run into a problem with my wife's 2000 Accord (approx 140k miles). When starting the car, the engine turned over but then instead of idling, it died. It has done this randomly 5 or 6 times over the last 8 years, but each of those times, giving it a little gas to keep the RPMs up for a few extra seconds at ignition has worked to keep it running. Then it will seem to work normally for 6 months or a year or more. (It never died while idling at a stop light.) This recent time, it took many tries and waiting before it would stay on and the Check Engine light came on for the first time and stayed on for the 1 mile drive home.About 9 months ago, we were told the main fuel relay was failing and it was replaced at a dealership.

Any advice on a good shop and/or what might be causing these symptoms would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Hi Doug..
You might also post this into the regions forums where you might get a good answer as to where you can take it..

Good Luck
WheelBrokerAng

Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Happen to be a v6 engine in it?

Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 PM

Thank you WheelBrokerAng! I missed that part of the forum.

poorman212, yes it is a V-6. I did miss that during the initial post.

Thanks!

Doug

Old 01-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Default Bay Area Reliable Shop

Hello Accord Members!

I am new to the Bay Area (and this forum) and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a known good Bay Area Honda shop? I hate taking my vehicles to the dealership unless I really have to.

I have recently run into a problem with my wife's 2000 Accord (approx 140k miles). When starting the car, the engine turned over but then instead of idling, it died. It has done this randomly 5 or 6 times over the last 8 years, but each of those times, giving it a little gas to keep the RPMs up for a few extra seconds at ignition has worked to keep it running. Then it will seem to work normally for 6 months or a year or more. (It never died while idling at a stop light.) This recent time, it took many tries and waiting before it would stay on and the Check Engine light came on for the first time and stayed on for the 1 mile drive home.About 9 months ago, we were told the main fuel relay was failing and it was replaced at a dealership.

Any advice on a good shop and/or what might be causing these symptoms would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 01-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

The Bay Area is huge and traffic plays a big part. Which more specific area are you looking at?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Preferably the tri-valley area or the East Bay.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 01-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

You can use Yelp; but, take the reviews with a grain of salt.

One independent shop I heard good things about from family members is Lexura Service Center in Dublin. From what I heard before, some of the guys were former techs at Acura, other dealerships, etc. They have more positive Yelp reviews than most of the other independent shops in the area for Japanese imports.