General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 accord SE... SRS light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Default 2000 accord SE... SRS light on

Anyone, at 162,000 miles my SRS light just came on in my 2000 accord se, 4 cyl, v-tech, 4 door, automatic trans. How much financial damage am I looking at from the dealership? Also, I'm in the market for a new set of tires, is there brand comparable to Michelin mxv4, that's not quite as expensive?

Thanks for taking the time!
Star68

Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

The SRS control unit detected a problem. It could be something as simple as the seat belt, or the SRS control unit. Probably have to take it to the dealership to get scanned for problems. An independent shop that specializes in hondas may be able to do this as well.

If it is the seat belt buckle, it may be covered under Honda's lifetime warranty on them.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Default SRS Cable Reel

There also could be a problem with the cable reel that is inbetween the steering wheel and steering column. My light was on for a long time and i took into honda for them to take a look at it, and basically what it was, was this reel has flat wiring spun around the center, so when you turn the wheel each way it has some play in it so it does not rip the wire that goes down the steering column. Some times these small cables break and will cause that light to go on. I took my steering wheel off, opened up the cable reel, and resoldered the wire myself. Doing the solder does take some skilled soldering, because these wires are more like flat contacts than wires, so if you do not feel comfortable doing that, you can take it to honda, but i believe the going price with labor was somewhere around 250. Airbag systems are something you really do not wanna mess with if you do not have to, can cause alot of damage, and can be dangerous, but it might be worth it for you took look into it. BTW, does your cruise control and horn work? If they dont, then i would almost guarentee its the SRS Cable Reel.