General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord SRS light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:40 PM
srt
Unregistered
Default 2000 Accord SRS light on

The SRS light on our 2000 Accord (V-6 auto, 144K miles) recently came on, and stays on. I've not been able to get much using the search function, or the stickies, so here's the questions. I don't wish to trouble shoot it myself.

I'm going to take it to the dealer to trouble shoot. I spoke with them yesterday, and they (at first) told me it woldn't be covered by warranty at all. When I mentioned that I thought the warranty had been extended, he checked and said yes, it was extended and if the problem was certain parts, the $93 diagnosis, as well as the repair would be covered. However, he said that if the problem was the seat belt it would not be covered. He further said they had been "around and around" with Honda (corporate, I assume) about covering seat belt initiated faults in the SRS system, and they wouldn't budge.

I have a copy of the 06-009 Service bulletin, which seems to me to say the diagnosis is covered, even if the problem is not covered. Also, somewhere, I remember reading that the seatbelts are covered for the life of the vehicle.

I'm not trying to get something for nothing here, but have had to keep a real close eye on dealerships in the past to keep them from reaching deeper in my pocket than they should rightfully do. Can anyone shed some more light on this SRS light issue? What rightfully is and is not covered under warranty?

I realize (or at least think I do) that we're coming up on 150K, and they may try to cut off any warranty after that.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

I've had a 1998 and a 2003 Accord, both had warranties for the seatbelts & airbags "for the useful life of the vehicle". So I would assume yours does too. My warranty books had disclaimers about damage to the belt itself, like cuts & fraying, that are caused by abnormal use. That stuff doesn't set off the SRS warning light...

My 2007 Civic has seatbelts & airbags warrantied for 15 years / 150k miles, so somewhere in there Honda has changed their policy. Your warranty should be covered for what your warranty booklet says, regardless of what they offer on NEW cars.

You can always call Honda USA customer service (you're in USA??).

Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 AM
srt
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply Jim. You've bracketted my 2000 with your 98 and 03. Yes, I'm in the USA. I think I'll make a call to Customer Service as you suggested.

It's such a shame. I've really enjoyed the two Accords we've owned from cradle to grave, and will likely buy a new one in a few years, when this one is no longer reliable enough for my wife to drive. Absolutely fantastic cars as far as reliability is concerned.

However, I've had less than fantastic results from delaership maintenance departments. They always seem to want to try to pull one over on me. I have solid examples, but won't take this thread in the negative territory that deeply. Sure wish I could find a local dealership where they lived up to the quality of the car in their service attempts, and lived up to the integrity of the corporation.

Rant over.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

It's been my experience that the dealer will really REALLY try to keep Honda USA happy. I've heard stories (not firsthand) of dealers that really got in trouble for making owners pay for stuff that should be covered under warranty.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:05 PM
srt
Unregistered

Update. I took the car in for the appointment this am. Didn't get a chance to speak with customer service yet (new job, and don't want to hang on the phone during work hours). The dealership said the problem was the driver's side seat belt buckle, and neither it nor the diagnosis was covered under the extended warranty, as the warranty only covers the OPDS system, and the seat belt was still able to perform it's main function. I explained to the friendly young man that my understanding of both the seat belt and OPDS warranty was that both the diagnosis and repair should be covered. He said they have not been able to get HONDA america to cover it. Unfortunately, the part was not in stock (one strike against the dealer, since they knew I was coming in, and told me they suspected the seat belt buckle, as that was the usual problem).

So, I'll call Honda and see what they have to say after they reopen after the holiday.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by srt
Update. I took the car in for the appointment this am. Didn't get a chance to speak with customer service yet (new job, and don't want to hang on the phone during work hours). The dealership said the problem was the driver's side seat belt buckle, and neither it nor the diagnosis was covered under the extended warranty, as the warranty only covers the OPDS system, and the seat belt was still able to perform it's main function. I explained to the friendly young man that my understanding of both the seat belt and OPDS warranty was that both the diagnosis and repair should be covered. He said they have not been able to get HONDA america to cover it. Unfortunately, the part was not in stock (one strike against the dealer, since they knew I was coming in, and told me they suspected the seat belt buckle, as that was the usual problem).

So, I'll call Honda and see what they have to say after they reopen after the holiday.
Give 'em hell!! lol. Good luck man.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM
srt
Unregistered

Update:

Spoke with corporate today. (1-800-999-1009).

They agreed that the dealership should not try to charge me for the inspection, but didn't agree that Honda should foot the bill for the seat belt.

I tried to convince the lady of my logic that since the "seat belt is guaranteed to function properly for the useful lifetime of the vehicle", and one of it's functions (signals to OPDS) was no longer functioning, then they should replace the belt. She politely said they only guaranteed it to function for holding you in the seat. I said I could understand that, if there was a caveat in the warrantee stating that, but when the warrantee says "function", and doesn't limit it to which functions, I felt the company was trying to cheat on the warrantee. We remained polite to each other, but she stuck to her guns, and I stuck to mine.

Short of hiring a lawyer (which i wouldn't even think about for such a small matter), is there any other (ethical) thing I can do to get them to step up to the plate?

I realize this may seem like I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, and I might be. However, they wrote the terms and extended the warrantee, I didn't. I'm just trying to get them to do what they said they would do.

I also asked about them sharing the cost. She said she could ask, but given the mileage on the car, they would say no.

While I had her on the phone, I asked about the possibility of the new Accord Diesel. She said she didn't know anything about it, but did know that they were coming out with an Accord Crossover in November of this year. I did some looking on line. It's a big ugly Accord that will get worse mileage than the current ones (my opinion).

It's a shame, but if they don't start selling the Accord over here (USA), I'm afraid we'll have to shift to a Damn VW to get the mileage that's possible with a diesel. The Accord Diesel that's available overseas is supposed to get 62 mpg (imperal), and 52 mpg US gallon. The new 4 cyl Accord I saw in the showroom the other day was still rated in the mid 20's city, upper 20's highway. Great cars, but they could be sooooooooo much better at 50 mpg!

Rant switch turned OFF.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

If the honda won't cover it, you can buy it and install it yourself.

It looks like the part is under $50. A junkyard part would be a cheaper option.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:08 PM
srt
Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestion PA, It's not about the money though. It's about Honda weaseling out of replacing a component they specifically address in the warranty.

I did read the warranty book, and they said I have the option of contacting the BBB for a resolution by arbitration. I just might send off a letter.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 AM

The SRS light is active on my 2000 Accord for at least 3 months now. I keep reseting it and now it seems light it comes on more frequently. I just made a call to my local Honda dealer and it will cost $95 plus taxes for troubleshooting. As I was told, the only component that is still under warranty is the seatbelt buckle.
As suggested by the earlier poste, I will try to get the part from the junk yard and see it the seatbelt buckle is the root cause of the problem.