General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord Wiper Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Cool 97 Accord Wiper Control Question

Hello,

The wiper control arm/switch (on the steering column by the ignition switch) on my 97 Accord broke. The wipers would work, but the windshield washer would not and the arm felt really flimsy. I think I had to replace this a few years ago, so it might be a common issue.

Anyway went to the junk yard and could not find a 94-97 Accord, but found one off a 2001 Acura which looked exactly the same, for 12 bucks it was worth a try.

Removed the old switch, and installed the one off the Acura which fit right in place. The big connector fit, but the small 2 wire (blk/wht) connector is slightly different and not connected. The switch seems to work fine, and there are no issues with the wipers or washer control.

Does anyone know what the small 2 wire connector does on this switch? It seems easy enough to remove and splice with my old one if needed.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

1997 Accords have variable intermittent wipers. There is a 2 wire connector with one black wire and one white wire for the delay function.

For Honda wiring, Blk/Wht means a wire with black color insulation and a white stripe running through it, so that is not the same as a separate black wire and white wire.

Not sure what Acura model you're referring to.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:45 PM

You should have disconnect the wire at the washer fluid motor first and have someone turn the **** in the car and you test the wire for electricity using either a test light to ground or a multimeter on 12v setting to ground. If there is nothing there then replace the switch assembly in the car, but if the is power then the fluid pump motor is bad. It is located in the reservoir near the bottom and inside the inner fender well.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

RB, it is 2 seperate wires to the smaller connector, 1 solid white wire and 1 solid black wire.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Then those are for the variable intermittent wiper delay function. They connect to the integrated control unit, located at the under-dash fuse box.

The white wire mates up a grn/yel wire, while the black wire mates up with a grn/wht wire. They are the delay input wires to the integrated control unit.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Cool

It odd with that smaller 2 wire connector not hooked up, the wipers seem to work fine in all settings (high, low, int....) no problem with the windshield washers either?

Wish I would have found a 97 to pull the switch off of though.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

In intermittent, the wipers operate every few seconds. With the 2 wire connector hooked up, it allows you to vary how often the wipers sweep the windshield by turning the INT TIME ring next to the rotary switch.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Accord Wiper Control Question-wipers-controls.jpg  
Old 10-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yep RB-1 your right. When I turn the switch to intermittent the wipers operate about every 8 seconds. When I change the rotary switch, it has no affect on the wipers delay, as they still sweep every 8 seconds or so.

We'll it least this gives me something to go on, and I know the wipers will work. I think swapping/splicing the 2 wire connector from my broken switch to the new one should work, as the connectors are just slightly different.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.