General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Windshield Wiper Question

Old 01-21-2007, 02:37 AM
itsybitsyskier
Unregistered
Default Windshield Wiper Question

Hello Everyone,

I am new here so please be so kind to me!

I have a 1999 Honda Accord LX and I am having some issues with my windshield wipers and looking for some advice on what the problem may be so I can get the situation fixed if possible!

Occasionally my windshield wipers will not work when the temperature is real cold and it is either raining or snowing. What I mean by this is that when you turn the wipers on...none of the speed settings will work. I had to turn the wipers off and the high speed setting would work only. That afternoon all speed settings started to work again. Another situation is when you turn the wipers on the high speed setting will only work and after so long all the speed settings will work.

What do you think the problem is. Is it the switch only and if so where is the switch at and how do you replace it? Is it the motor, if so, where is it at and how do you replace it?

Any advice will be helpful!

Thanks so much in advance!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:11 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Windshield Wiper Question

I had somewhat of the same problem, but it seemed to resolve itself. For the longest time, my wipers would not work unless I only used that "power swipe" where you hold the lever down and it swipes it. For me, the actuall **** on the lever that you turn was messed up. You had to "tickle" it until it started going and then it would be fine. Try moving the switch as slowly as you can through all the settings from on, all the way to high and see if they work then.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:18 AM
itsybitsyskier
Unregistered

I think I have tried to move the switch slowly and that did not seem to work...

Thanks...

Old 01-21-2007, 05:57 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Did you ever accidentally try running the wipers when they were frozen to the windshield?

Old 01-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Do the wipers seem to work better when the interior of the car is warmed fully?
I've seen several turn signal switches affected by the grease in the switch, it gets stiff when coldand makes the spring loaded contactor ride up off the contact points in the switch base.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:36 AM
itsybitsyskier
Unregistered

Of course they are not stuck!

Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 AM
itsybitsyskier
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: hondadude

Do the wipers seem to work better when the interior of the car is warmed fully?
I've seen several turn signal switches affected by the grease in the switch, it gets stiff when coldand makes the spring loaded contactor ride up off the contact points in the switch base.
I have not thought about that. How would you know if it works better when the inside is fully warm? How would you know if it is the switch and etc...?

Thanks.