General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default No heat

hi, i have a 96 accord. that as no heat. the only thing it does is blow cool air. i dont know where to look to try to fix this problem. i refuse to stay it to the shop. can you share ur thoughts on this situation thank you

Old 12-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

The heater core has a valve that allows hot coolant to flow through it that is open/closed by the **** in the car. Have someone turn the **** in the car and see if valve moves on the heater core.

The heater core is in the engine bay on the passenger side near the firewall and has two hoses that go into the cabin.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

To have heat you need the engine to reached operating temperature, the heated coolant to flow through the heater core and the blend door to work properly. I would suggest checking coolant level; verify that the engine reaches operating temperature. If the dash gage for engine temperature is where is usually is and if the rad fan will cycle if you let the car warm up with the interior fan off than. My 95 in the cold weather takes close to an hour to cycle the fan if left to idle. If you got enough hot coolant I would feel the heater core hoses before and after the water valve and they should be about the same temperature after verifying if the cable is working the valve. Next I would feel the inlet and outlet heater lines at the firewall. To me the temperature is hot enough that you can hold the hoses but not for long. If everything else checks out verify that the blend door is working by turning the same temperature **** and you may have to adjust it. The cable adjustment for the water valve and blend door are in manual.

I found out something interesting about my 95 system. The AC barely cooled the vehicle for the past decade but everything was right. The water valve closed and I had the correct AC high and low pressures. I have the cable disconnected from the water valve making it fully open and adjusted the blend door per the manual. In the summer the AC cools correctly and the heat works perfect. Even with the water fully open the heater **** still controls the temperature.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Nobody's mentioned the thermostat yet?

A stuck closed thermostat will not allow coolant to travel through the radiator and heater core circuits of the cooling system.

A cooling system operating correctly shows a little under half on the temp gauge, although not the most accurate means of measuring it. If the thermostat was stuck closed, you'd likely read HOT most of the time and the cooling fans will cycle more often.

Even if the water valve is opening, the heater core may be corroded enough to be blocked.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:23 PM

Reaching operating temperature and the radiator fan cycling by temperature would mean the thermostat is working well enough to have heat.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by finch13
Nobody's mentioned the thermostat yet?

If the thermostat was stuck closed, you'd likely read HOT most of the time and the cooling fans will cycle more often.

A stock closed t-stat would make the engine overheat,, and also the fans would not come on or come on really really late ..
I would chk the heater **** make sure that it is not broken thus cannot turn the heater cable properly,, pull the **** out and see if inner part is broken,, if **** is ok, then chk the heater cable operation make sure that it moves freely and also chk the heater valve make sure that it opens and closes fully as you turn the heater **** from hot to cold

Old 12-20-2009, 04:46 PM

On my 95 Accord it appears that the blend door controls the heat as long as the water valve is open as I have the cable off of the water valve and this is the best the HVAC system has worked.