General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Tach and intermittent Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Default Speedo Tach and intermittent Starting Issue

Hi, I have been doing searches for a couple of days and haven't found any clear path to solving an ongoing problem. While driving, the speedo and tach will drop to zero, the radio dies and the car loses power for about 1 or 2 seconds. The car can start fine sometimes or crank really slowly but start. I had this problem before and replaced the ignition switch and starter. Problem went away for a while. Today I pulled out the year old ignition switch and tapped it while checking continuity. There didn't appear to be any intermittent contact while the switch was tapped on a hard surface. I haven't changed the main fuse yet but the intermittent nature of the problem doesn't seem like that's the issue. I also haven't had temp control button function for a long time. The car is a 5-spd 1999 Accord LX, 4 cyl. Any ideas?

Last edited by RI Accord; 04-27-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 AM

I've noticed something else; if I give the car gas and let off suddenly, the gauges and the radio lose power and then it comes back immediately. If I do this while sitting still, nothing happens. Also, today the temp controls are back. They haven't worked for months! Could the movement of the engine be causing something to short or break contact? When I turn on the headlights the maintenance light comes on today. This is crazy!

Last edited by RI Accord; 04-28-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Check and clean the battery connections. Also check the main ground on the end of the tb to be sure it is clean and tight, #16 in this pic.

Attached Thumbnails Speedo Tach and intermittent Starting Issue-6th-gen-g101-loc-4cyl.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Check and clean the battery connections. Also check the main ground on the end of the tb to be sure it is clean and tight, #16 in this pic.
Already cleaned the battery posts. I'll check the ground you mentioned. I was pulling on all the harnesses and everything is good for the moment. The temp controls are going on and off now but weren't working at all recently. Seeming like a short or bad ground somewhere. I had a multimeter on the battery as I pulled on cables. I pulled on cable going to fuse box on drivers side and voltage dropped and then everything started working. Now I can't duplicate that voltage drop. I hate intermittent electrical problems! I am getting no codes at all.