Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Chrome rims bad for car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Chrome rims bad for car?

Hi, I was looking to buy rims for my 2009 Honda accord Sedan but im not sure what rims to get so I wanted to get your opinions to help me with my decision. I was thinking of putting black and chrome 20"s since my car black but I was told those are not good for cars because since they are so heavy they mess the trasnmission, suspension, etc. Is this true? If not I was thinking of getting these 19" alloy rims painting them black and dropping my car. what do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails Chrome rims bad for car?-aly63932u.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

bigger doesn't always mean heavier - some premium wheels are lighter for increased performance. finish doesn't matter (chrome, painted, etc.)

Heavier wheels can be harder on the tranny and brakes - depends on how you drive. stopping distances are typically increased. lower profile tires are more prone to flats since the bead comes off from the rim easier. get a roadside assistance and replacement warranty and consider a full-size spare. around here you can't get a replacement or hazard warranty without a rated tread life (though they will sell you the useless warranty). some things to consider. if you have the extra money to spend, go for it.

my friend has a Scion tC with low profile tires. in the past 3 years he has had 6 flat incidents - three of those times he lost both on one side at the same time (same pothole took out front/rear). since he only has one spare, he had a $300 tow on top of his hassle. this is common for people in my area. if you live in an area with flawless roads, then this isn't as much of a concern.

many people add big rims with no care for the vehicle or longevity. i won't buy a used car with oversized rims. if you do go with larger, heavier wheels - upgrade the brakes/rotors/calipers for more stopping power.