Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Factory Paint with Tiny Rust Spots.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Default Factory Paint with Tiny Rust Spots.

I am the original owner of a 2000 Accord, Champagne color, that has never been repainted and is loaded with tiny rust chips all over the car including the roof and trunk area. Most are a little larger than the point of a pencil and are everywhere, but concentrated mostly on the roof, trunk, and hood. These are not road chips as the carhas been driven 90% on city streets. I took the car to Honda and the service manager is going to call me when the Regional guy comes in next month. I'm sure this is going to be a waste of time. Does anyone know of issues with the paint and if this is normal for a 7 year old car? Do I have any recourse with the dealership for defects in workmanship?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Factory Paint with Tiny Rust Spots.

dood, the car is 7 years old! No recourse in saying that it is a factory defect! Since it's on all top surfaces, it sounds like a combination of acid rain, sunlight and neglect in cleaning it. To fix it, you need the spots wet sanded and all top surfaces painted and blended. Not worth it IMO, expect over $1000.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Unless a car is completely neglected, and never waxed, a paint should last a substantially longer period of time than 7 years. I may be dating myself, and the EPA may be somewhat to blame as well, but I remember cars paint lasting for decades with a super deep shine to boot. This paint issue is not acceptable. I'mmay not get any satisfaction from Honda, but I certainly will try and go all the appropriate routes. It can't hurt to try. The squeaky wheel gets oiled.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i agree with you that it should last longer.

i also agree that you're likely screwed. they typically only cover rust through, from the inside out. good luck with them, and let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:02 AM

yea i have the same accord same color ...my paint is still reasonably good...like i big chip on my hood an 2 little ones u can barely notice but the rest of the cars paint is perfect cept for hondas famous wheel wells ...which are bublling a little but im repainting my bumpers cuz the previous owner raped the front bumper so it full of little chips an scratches.....

i agreee maybe its lack of love....