Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

help with my paint job

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Default RE: a little discracefull (HELP ME WITH MY PAINT JOB)

well,

Everyone who mentioned that you need a re-paint is correct. There is nothing you can do. However, I will disagree that the previous owners didn't take care of the car based on the clear coat issue. I bought my 96 Accord with Clear Caot damage on the roof. It bugs the hell outta me., but my car is in pretty good working order.. even better since I joined this site. I've done a fair amount of research on clear coat issues with the 5th/6th gens of Honda's and there is a class action suite that is trying to get filed for faulty paint (don't hold your breath). Check out this site for others in your situation: http://www.autosite.com/content/rese...Posts/fid/5191.

As far as Macco. Don't let people sway you without doing your own research. Macco is a franchise. Though I've heard more complaints than not, I've heard that is all about the ownership and people working at your local macco that makes the difference. I live in the city of philadelphia, and I will not even attempt to go to a Macco around here. However, across the birdge, in the plush side of Cherry HIll, NJ..where the upper eschelan live, I have heard good things about their local Macco.

When the time comes for me though, I will take all extremities off my car and prime the nooks and crannies myself before it goes in. That's where paint shops usually skimp or error

Hope this helps

Old 02-07-2007, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

one other option you have is to find someone who can re-paint just the roof (if that's the only place with a problem) who knows how to blend paint well, it's not going to be perfect but they should be able to do that for around $750.00 and make it look good, then just be sure you wax the car a lot to keep the rest of it in good shape.... Personally, my 81 civic has this same problem and it won't really deduct from the re-sale value of the car because most people looking for a vehicle that is older anticipate the paint being that way, if it's not then the car may be worth an extra 2-3 hundred dollars but not a big change in pricing for good paint on old vehicles.... so your options are: be happy with the car (at least it's not mechanical issues), try a spot paint job and hope for the best, repaint the car and drive it till it dies, pray that someone hits your rear end and it's repairable but requires some painting....
Did you look at the 3rd picture?It's beyond the roof.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:10 PM

yea they said that it came with some extra stuff on the paint and that it got that way because all the carwashes they ran it through

Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM

"However, I will disagree that the previous owners didn't take care of the car based on the clear coat issue."
They may have taken care of it but it would sure makeone suspicious, no?

By the way it's Maaco not Macco.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:17 PM

yea now that i think about it if it was just the roof i could easy find somebosy to color blend it because it doesnt reall connect to the rest of the body cept for the back

Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: louisville_slugger89

yea they said that it came with some extra stuff on the paint and that it got that way because all the carwashes they ran it through
There are indeed some poor factory paint jobs out there and this may be one. The deal about running it through car washes is pure BS, cousin or not. It is called neglect in my opinion. I've owned well over 30 cars in my life and none ever had paint that looked like that. Hopefully they were OCD on the rest but I don't think so as far as the paint goes. Perhaps this model was known for bad paint and I'm dead wrong, I hope so.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

"However, I will disagree that the previous owners didn't take care of the car based on the clear coat issue."
They may have taken care of it but it would sure make one suspicious, no?
I agree, however that is why i posted the clear coat issue link, to re-assure that it's not always neglect.

By the way it's Maaco not Macco.
easy now... after 9 hours on the computer my fingers get a bit dyslexic. But thanks for clarifying that, I'm sure he was confused.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:33 PM

Didn't mean to be a plick....... several had mispelled it. Not aimed at you, please accept my apologies. Your point about the peeling clearcoat is well taken.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 PM

naw i knew w3hat it was

cuz they had a commercial the other day o'n tv about a $500 discounted to $250
good thing i didn't have the money then cuz i prolly woulda went for it and it prolly the expired paint they got left

Old 02-07-2007, 10:48 PM

It's all good ....cheers

Quick Reply: help with my paint job