Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

LED dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default LED dash lights

I want to change all possible lights on my dash to green LEDs. I was wondering what bulb sizes and how many bulbs are behind the gauges (I'm assuming T5, but I'm wondering if there are any T10's or something else back there. I dont want to take apart the dash just to find out I bought the wrong stuff), and if its possible to change the bulb color for the other buttons like temperature control and sun roof control (I'm thinking the buttons might have specific factory installed bulbs that dont come in various colors).

Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Administrator
Smile

If you could find them I wouldn't consider even doing it cause the lights would be way to bright to be able to see while your driving..
Thank about it!

WheelBrokerAng

Old 07-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default good point

that is a valid point. plus the more i talk to people, the harder it seems to be to change gauge lights. and even though LEDs are supposed to have thousands of hours of life, i've seen many aftermarket LEDs burn out after about a year, sometimes less. so you're right, i dont want to be blinded while driving, nor do i want the lights to completely go out.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 AM

they wouldnt be to bright in the gauges i have some in mine and they are 194 is the size and i belive there is 5 or 6 and is a really good website for all that
also in your gauges i have found the high powered bulbs to work better

Last edited by WheelBrokerAng; 07-10-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: No Direct Sales site allowed..type it in so that I wont work...Thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I think the green LED looks scary

Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 AM

i converted my entire dash cluster and heater control panel (including the clock) to LED illumination.

i used white LED's because there's already a light blue filter inside the dash instruments/controls so i ended up with a light "ice blue" color instead of the stock nasty seafoam-ish green.

the cruise control button and Auto window switch are still stock, but no one really looks at them, and it is possible to convert them as well, just requires more patience and some skill.

anyway, i played with several different values of resistors until i came up with a number that worked (i can't remember it now) i ended up with 3 LED's per bulb hole in the gauge cluster, 1 behind the digital display(as well as clock) and 1 per hole in the top front of the cluster (if you've taken apart the dash/cluster in a 98-02 you'll know what i mean) also 1 LED per opening in the heater control panel.

i spent a fair amount of cash on it, and went with good quality american made LEDS (at least i think they all were) i ended up diffusing ALL of the LED's (by sanding/grinding the tips until they're blurry and flat) and the holes with 3 per opening got aimed 3 different directions (like a triangle) to cover a wider range of area more evenly (1 per hole on the big cluster bulbs is not enough)

they're all 7,000mcd white LED's and the resistor value i came up with ended up giving them right around nominal current delivery with the dimmer at full brightness. they're fully dimmable and at the lowest setting are still enough to see everything at night.

to be honest, they aren't that bright at all when they're all the way up. barely brighter(if at all) than stock.

a properly done conversion looks really fantastic, and you can always increase resistance to drop the light output (diffusing helps a little as well)

Just my 2 cents,

Moddage