General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Installing LED Strip Lights Under Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Default Installing LED Strip Lights Under Dash

Hey everyone, so i'm very new to this but I've been trying to find the best way to install LED strip lights under the dash to illuminate the foot wells. From everything I've read so far, it seems that the best way to go about this is to wire them to a fuse in the fuse box. My question is basically:

1) is this really the safest and best way to wire the LEDs
2) how exactly should i go about wiring the LEDs to a fuse
3) I also want to install a simple switch so that I can control when the lights go on and off, so what is the best way of wiring in the switch as well.

I have a 2012 LX sedan and have very little experience with actually messing around with the wiring of my car, however I do know a bit about circuits and how they work and such. If anyone could provide me with a simple wiring diagram of how to accomplish this I think I could figure out the rest. Thanks and sorry I wrote so much haha

Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

I suggest a volt meter, if you don't have one already.

Then another question or two. Can we assume you want these to come on when the headlights/dash lights are on....but at the same time have a "switch" to turn them off.

PS- Welcome to HAF

Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM

I do have a voltmeter but I'm not entirely sure where I would use it?, and ideally I would like to have the lights only come on when the switch is on, so it would be separate from the headlight/dash lights.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

This should accomplish what you are describing if you are using a 12 volt LED strip.

Get a Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit MINI and use one of the unused slots in the interior fuse box. No. 1 slot is unused and readily accessible in the lower right-hand corner of the fuse box when you look up under the dash.

http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/Fi...FHM02FHA02.pdf

The LED strip should turn on when the ignition is ON and the switch is ON.

Attached Thumbnails Installing LED Strip Lights Under Dash-basic-hook-up.jpg   Installing LED Strip Lights Under Dash-drivers-side-interior-fuse-box.jpg