Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

LED under Airvents

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 PM
UAA
Default LED under Airvents

Im trying to put some red LED lights under the airvents on my dash, one on either end of the dash, and 2 in the center, inbetween the clock. Ive already removed all the vent ducts and drilled a small hole on either the top or on the inner side of the ducts, each LED has its own individual wiring, and im attaching it all to a fuse in the left box. ive also wired them to a switch that I have mounted underneath the dash that way I can turn it on or off whenever I please.

After the initial setup, I tested the LED's with the power supply from the fuse's, however they would only light up momentarily and then go out, I think that the wiring needs a resistor to lower the voltage of power coming into the LED's, I havent had a chance to try a resistor yet, but I will shortly.

Can you guys think of any other reason that this wouldnt work, or has anybody done this before and have any advice.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Il try to get some pictures to help explain what im talking about a little later...sort of sitting in hisotry class right now

Old 08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: LED under Airvents

You need the data of the LED to properly size a resistor. Depending on the color and light output it will very, but since you are running them individually it should make the sizing much easier. Average LED resistor is 100 - 250 ohm and 1/4 to 1/2 watt in size. There are many online LED resister calculators to help you. Most LEDs max out ~5-6V so when you see them go out they are gone, I'm actually surprised they didn't pop with 12+V going to them. Anyways before you instal them grind down the led tips with a nail file and lightly sand the edges. It helps diffuse the lights and make it more even, otherwise you'll get blinded and have one side of your vent lit.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:37 PM
UAA
Default RE: LED under Airvents

thanks man, I was, no joke, just going through my head how they are going to look, if they are actually gonna make the vents glow or just show like a red dot when you look into the vents, which is def not want im aiming for,

thanks for the help