Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Legality of Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:14 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Legality of Projectors

I am buying some black projectors and have been worried that the blue angel eyes may get me pulled over, but then I think, well some HID's are more blue than the rings. So I e-ailed the traffic department and asked them and even gave an eBay link to the projectors I wanted and here is the response

I was told by our Traffic Unit the following; To be sold and/or used in the United States, all vehicles parts, etc. must have passed the safety standards regulated in the U.S., irregardless where the vehicles are made. Foreign safety standards superceed those of the U.S. in many ways. I guess you would have to inquire if your 2 choices meet that requirement. I know that I would not know the difference in what type of headlight was coming at me just by sight. I have never heard of roadside safety checks where headlights were checked.

So I would assume, that since the headlights are SAE and DOT approved I should have no worries. I am planning on buying the headlights asap, and I think I will keep a copy of the auction and the e-mail in my car at all times.
Do you guys think I am assuming correctly? His answer wanst the most fulfilling but oh well. If it meets SAE and DOT I should be fine.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Default RE: Legality of Projectors

You should be just fine. I run 6000K HIDs in my Ram, and never caught trouble with anyone. Angel eyes aren't nearly as blinding/annoying.

I suppose it depends on the cop, but I really wouldn't worry at all.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

But are the blue halo rings illegal?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

But are the blue halo rings illegal simply because they are blue?

I want to buy them asap! I am going to replace the leds in the angel eyes before I put them on so I need to know whether to get white or blue.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Don't BMWs have halos?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Yeah, but they are a white color.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 PM

idk b/c your not supposed to have any blue or red lights because of impersonating a cop or something like that, but in headlight i dont think they would really even knotice, if they do pull you over you will probably get a warning and you can change them out.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Yeah, I know! But if you arent supposed to have any blue light, how can they be SAE and DOT approved?! arg!!!!

Does anyone know of led's that have a VERY SLIGHT blue hue?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 AM

is it illegal to have lights NOT DOT stamped? one shop said yes, the other said as long as they have high/low beams your good. anyone have this problem?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Just roll with it. A slight blue hue or really, really blue light is not gonna get you a ticket. The xenon burns with a bluish hue and some people roll around with 8000k+ (light blue to dark blue to purple as the number increases) lights.

Quick Reply: Legality of Projectors