Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Repainting a 4th gen. What is easy to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Bmachine
Unregistered
Default Repainting a 4th gen. What is easy to remove?

I just bought a '93 Accord wagon. Mechanically great, cosmetically terrible. This will not be a show car, just a daily transportation. So I will give it a cheap paint job to last 3 or 4 years.

I want to remove as much as possible from the car so the paint shop can focus on the metal prep. I don't want to remove everything because, as I said, this is just for a transportation car. What are the parts that are easy to remove and that should be taken out?

After a quick look at the car, it seems to me that the obvious ones would be Lights, mud flaps and license plates. Then would be the rear logo and possibly the front grille. Those shouldn't be too hard, right? What about after that? Those big pieces of horizontal rubber moulding running midway up the doors would be nice to remove but it looks like I would have to remove all the door panels for that...

I don't know if the sedan had this but the wagon also has two pieces of rubber molding running on the roof along each side of the car. I don't know how these were attached... Are they glued in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Bo

Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Repainting a 4th gen. What is easy to remove?

I would think the body shop would be able to help you/remove everything on their own. For a good paint job you will want to remove the bumper covers and mirrors etc etc etc.