Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

typical 1992 rust

Old 08-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Silverfox302
Unregistered
Default typical 1992 rust

Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I have a 1992 accord lx 4 door, and since i bought it a few years back, the rust at the rearwheel wells has gotten worse. I noticed the other day that it is also inside the rear doors down lowwhen you open it. In some places it is all the way through. In retrospect i should have had it taken care of when it wasnt so bad.I was a mechanic for 5 years, but i generally try to stay away from bodywork. What do you guys think it would cost to get fixed? It doesnt have to look show quality,but i would like it respectable.As it is, Im afraid to wash the thing cause i dont want to wash any of the car away!! Thanks for any replies

Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: typical 1992 rust

if it were my car...i would live with it, unless i was going to make it a show car. its 15 years old.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Tippey786
Unregistered

i have a 1993 honda accord 2 door and the only rust is on the driver side rear wheel well and i gusse you could say the front of the driver door and fender but thats because of a diffrent reason

Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Silverfox302
Unregistered

im just trying to get a feel for who has had this repaired bya body shop and how much they have paid; or ifI should attempt it myself. I would leave it like it is, but I plan on keeping the car for a little while anyway, and the holes in the wheel wells is really kind of bothering me.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey "Silverfox", ever get the rust taken care of??? I've got the exact same year/car/problem and am having the same question. Living with it is NOT an option. Woulda taken care of it sooner but I was out-of-country for a few years.
As an aside, has ANYONE heard of, or seen a pre-stamped replacement metal panel that is being sold that you can cut out the cancer and weld-in the new? Some aftermarkets do it for trucks and certain cars (mostly domestic that I've ever seen).
Would be great to find and do, thanks all!
Dan

Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Silverfox, by the way, I found several repair panels on "bing"-search. This appears to be the most promising. Has anyone done this kind of fix before? Any problems? Know about how much to expect to pay to get it done at a shop?
Anyway, check out this link to find YOUR fender rust repair panels.
http://www.fixmyrust.com/ecom-prodshow/5143058.html
Later, Dan

P.S. I think I will order one side to see how it fits up against the car, and then take it around to try and get some estimates. The repair panel is only $37.18 so I don't think I'll lose on this experiment. I'll let you know what I find out and maybe it'll help you too.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 PM

I've got a 94 with a small amount of rust on some panels...I am currently working on taking care of it myself. Not sure how I am going to go about it for sure, So far I am working on grinding/sanding as much rust off as I can. I need to look into whether I am going to use those fiberglass sheets or rust repair panels. I have noticed some spots might be easier to fix by just replacing the panel or fender...My front driver side fender seems to be easier to fix by just replacing the whole fender.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM

I also have a 1992 Accord. Its an LX Wagon and I love it to death. I had MAACO fix her up about 4 years ago and they fixed the rust with a repaint. I had an awful paint fade. I found a site called civic duty Civic Duty LLC - Parts To Save Your Honda They specialize in restoring these awesome cars. Also I have a rusted slit where the bumper ends at the wheel well and its inside the wheel well. How could I fix that? Pictures to come soon.