Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

What color primer for white finish

Old 07-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Default What color primer for white finish

im guessing grey primer for a white paint job?

i want a gloss cloud white paint job. you know the white that is so bright it stands out anywhere.

my car is currently white, but its gross and faded almost a yellow tint to it.

im gonna attempt to fix dents get a sand buffer and sand off the clear coat and current paint and spray on primer.

let it chill with grey primer until i save the funds for a professional spray with gloss clear coat. im guessing around 1500$?

also how many coats of primer should i use on all body parts?

Old 07-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

I would just leave it as is, a professional body guy cannot use primer that has seen the elements so he will just have to re do it.

And a complete paint job for $1500? If you find a place that can do a good job for that much its a great deal. The paint alone for my paint job was close to $400. Luckly that is all I had to pay for .

Most places charge close to $400 just to repaint a bumper.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:56 AM

I use to paint cars professionally. Now I just do it on the side or for my own cars. For white paint I would use white primer. It'll be easier to cover. You can use grey primer. It'll just take more paint to cover. Definitely not black. Will probably equal more money for the more paint used. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to let primer sit too long. Won't be good anymore. Also may not be good to sand all the clear and paint currently on. I'd also like to hear more opinions, but from my experience working at the shop, I've never seen any preppers(the guys that prep the car for painting) or painters take off all the paint down to the metal just to do a complete paint job. The body may end up having waves. Only time I ever seen them strip paint to metal was on one of those oldie cars that looks like the Chrysler PT Cruzer. Paint was probably half a century old and body was rusting.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Shoot that saves me money then. Clear coat is peeling on hood, so that would certainly have to be buffed off.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:03 PM

When ever clear is peeling we usually try to peel or sand it till it gets to a point where it stops peeling. Then we can work with it.

I just painted my Accord. It's the same color as the stock color. Stock color is called Malachite Green Pearl. It's that teal looking color. I bought a gallon of paint which should be enough to cover up the car since it's the same color. I actually ran out. Why? I used a grey primer which took too much paint to cover. I should have known. I used a black basecoat to cover up the primer then sprayed the green over the black. It didn't take much to cover up the black. Had to buy another pint.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Could you tint the primer to match the colorcoat, or close to it ??

Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 PM

I don't think the primer can be tinted. I never heard of it. Paint make up is different than primer so I don't think you can mix paint into it to match your color. Any color that's dark, just use black primer. Mid colors use grey and bright color use white. That would be the easiest.