Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

04 accord coupe trunk sub enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:26 AM
mgk
Default 04 accord coupe trunk sub enclosure

Hey everyone i have a little issue. i am currently in iraq, and i am buying all my car audio stuff. i have already bought my 12" BTL and the MRP-M2000 now i need to have a custom enclosure made for me. i have an 04 accord ex coupe. this is the issue. since i am here i cannot get my trunk dimensions. i have searched and searched online and cant find it. if anyone has one or somehow knows the dimensions i would appreciate it. also if anyone has any good ideas for an enclosure i would appreciate it.

Matt

Old 07-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Matt,

your best bet is to have one custom made by a shop where your car is currently at. can you have someone take it to a shop and have the gear installed, so it is waiting for you when you get home?

i assume you have a folding rear seat? if so, have an enclosure built that is behind the rear seat, firing into the cabin, and sealed off at the trunk opening. so the box will be the entire width of the trunk between teh wheel wells and under the rear deck. you'll have a slight angle to teh front baffle, so the rear of the box can be flat (avoid perfect rectangles, wedges work much better). coordinate the available dimensions with Fi and ask them to design an enclosure based on your specifications and desired tuning/output.

based on your sub and amp selection, i'm assuming you want a vented enclosure? if so, you could offset the sub to one side and align the port with the rear arm rest. or even better - you could remove the rear speakers and port the enclosure through the rear deck openings (sealed off), with the sub behind the seat visible through the rear arm rest. it is very important that you get a good seal around the box so you don't loose pressure to the trunk. my build log has pics of this kind of configuration.

this will maximize your usable turnk space, minimize phase interference, and also sound very nice. successful SPL competitors with sedans do this same thing. you want to pressurize the cabin - not the trunk.

if another member can take pics and dimensions of teh trunk - specifically the rear set opening height, width between teh wheel wells, etc. that would be appreciated.

for a stand-alone custom enclosure, poundthatsound.com is a resource for some badass vented enclosures with amazing flared ports.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:45 PM
mgk

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
Matt,

your best bet is to have one custom made by a shop where your car is currently at. can you have someone take it to a shop and have the gear installed, so it is waiting for you when you get home?

i assume you have a folding rear seat? if so, have an enclosure built that is behind the rear seat, firing into the cabin, and sealed off at the trunk opening. so the box will be the entire width of the trunk between teh wheel wells and under the rear deck. you'll have a slight angle to teh front baffle, so the rear of the box can be flat (avoid perfect rectangles, wedges work much better). coordinate the available dimensions with Fi and ask them to design an enclosure based on your specifications and desired tuning/output.

based on your sub and amp selection, i'm assuming you want a vented enclosure? if so, you could offset the sub to one side and align the port with the rear arm rest. or even better - you could remove the rear speakers and port the enclosure through the rear deck openings (sealed off), with the sub behind the seat visible through the rear arm rest. it is very important that you get a good seal around the box so you don't loose pressure to the trunk. my build log has pics of this kind of configuration.

this will maximize your usable turnk space, minimize phase interference, and also sound very nice. successful SPL competitors with sedans do this same thing. you want to pressurize the cabin - not the trunk.

if another member can take pics and dimensions of teh trunk - specifically the rear set opening height, width between teh wheel wells, etc. that would be appreciated.

for a stand-alone custom enclosure, poundthatsound.com is a resource for some badass vented enclosures with amazing flared ports.
Thank you very much for your advice. No my car is in storage while i am here, but since i am close to Seattle when i get back it will be too easy for me to take it to a shop and have it done. any ideas on about how much it will cost?

Yes i have folding rear seats but i dont have the back seat arm rest. I have not heard of sealing off the cabin? how would i do that? or will the shop do that? yes i want a vented box and that is what FI recommends.

I tried going to www.poundthatsound.com but all it comes up with is a blank white page with a few bubbles and the only thing i can click on is the "home" button that doesn't take me anywhere. it could be my internet since it is so slow.

If anyone is able to take the pics and measurements i would be utmost grateful.

Matt

Old 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

total system installation for a sub amp, sub box, and wiring may be in the $300-400 range including the box. If you want plexi, deadening, or a sealed off wall the price will go up (so will performance).

my build log (link in sig) will give you very detailed examples of how to seal off the trunk and cabin. sound deadening is recommended as well.

just putting a box in the trunk usually offers the worst performance for SPL due to cancellation and wasted energy in the trunk.

yea, i see a white page with white text - not sure what's going on with the web page - it's usually a black background and white text.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
mgk

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
total system installation for a sub amp, sub box, and wiring may be in the $300-400 range including the box. If you want plexi, deadening, or a sealed off wall the price will go up (so will performance).

my build log (link in sig) will give you very detailed examples of how to seal off the trunk and cabin. sound deadening is recommended as well.

just putting a box in the trunk usually offers the worst performance for SPL due to cancellation and wasted energy in the trunk.

yea, i see a white page with white text - not sure what's going on with the web page - it's usually a black background and white text.
this isnt the first system in this car, so i have the trunk dynamated. i will get it sealed off though. i just got done looking through your build log. very nice bro!! i wish i could do all of that. i am working on my skills so i can one day do that type of QUALITY work. and i figured out how to get his site you work. i had to search "pound that sound" and the second choice (with google) was page 5. i clicked on it a it worked. i also tried to email him but it said it was an invalid email address.

matt

Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

well, it's been a while since i've seen him on Sound Domain. I sent him a PM asking for a new email address.

thanks for the compliments. I improve every time time i do a build, and my Accord has been a very long project. I need to work on my finishing and cosmetic skills next. I'm also going to get into upholstery next.

you chose a nice sub and that amp should do it justice.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Default Dimensions of trunk 07 accord (sedan)

I really need to know the dimensions of the trunk (cargo) area. I have 2 orion hcca 12' subwoofers.
The dimensions of the box that I need areIMENSIONS: 15 1/2" HEIGHT, 36" WIDTH, 19" DEPTH
I just wanted to know if this box would fit in the trunk of the car. I would like to have it toward the seat and not moved all the way up to the back of the car. Can anyone help me?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

you can always measure it.