Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

1995 Accord Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Default 1995 Accord Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure

I'm looking to do a stealth box in the corner of the truck where there is some extra space. Has anyone done this and is there a good place to point me to to get some good basic information on building fiberglass enclosures?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

In all honesty if you are going for the stealth in the rear corner you would be better off buying one. the materials alone are going to cost almost as much as it cost to buy one and then we are talking hours of work.

The best advice I can say is take your time.

you will need wax paper or plastic of some sort to cover the inside of your trunk.
you will need mdf or some type of plywood to make your frame work.
you will need felt cloth.
you will need fiber glass resin and hardner.
fiber glass cloth. I prefer the cloth that does not have a specific weave.
you will need carpet.
you will need spray adhesive.

I am assuming you want it covered in carpet not painted since you said stealth. paint is a bit more material and a lot more work.

you will need to line your trunk with the plastic or wax paper. (if you use plastic you will need some sort of wax to keep the resin from sticking to the plastic. stretch your cloth out across the plastic. probably be easiest to set your framework in at this time and secure this portion to the frame work. staples work come about half the length forward of the frame work. coat the cloth with the resin/hardner mix and allow to dry for atleast 5 hours. after you pull this out you will want to stretch the cloth across the front of the frame work agan going back to a little over half. you want the fabric to overlap. I would use a two stage glue to secure the front to the rear. coat this with the resin/hardner mix. allow this to dry again for at least 5 hours. then you are going to want to take your fiberglass cloth and tear in to pieces.5x5 or so should be good. dip these pices in the resin/hardner and make sure they are coated well. the lay them on the box all the way around. you want these to overlap not meet edge to edge. probably have to do in stages to allow front to dry so you can rotate box. once this is completely dry (24 hrs or so later) then sand the fiberglass down so that it is smooth enough to set in desired location and the carpet will lay across smoothly. there are tons of tutorials on you tube. also some on carpeting. but that is the just of it.

know that you are getting a rough estimate of air space on the enclosure and it is difficult to be precise when building. air space is a key factor when setting up a sub so you are going to want to spend time planning and getting the airspace as close as you can to the right amount.

A fiberglass box I did.

Fiberglass tutorial.
How to fiberglass (subwoofer enclosure) - YouTube

the best carpeting tutorial out there IMO
Carpet a speaker box - YouTube

Last edited by neophyte; 12-12-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre.../2#Post1732310

Pics of what you want to do. I have seen better tutorials I will look for.

Fiberglass forums.com is a good site for DIY fiberglass.

I like U.S. Composites B-440 resin. Order from their site, along with fiberglass matte, rollers, measuring tubs, etc.
Some plastic sheeting, masking tape, latex gloves, and a respirator are desired. You want respirator filters rated for toxic fumes.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

here is a nice step-by-step for fiberglass enclosure construction by a U.S. top 10 MECP installer

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre.../4#Post1447870

Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

yes i did leave off gloves and a respirator. really is needed. not something you have to have but you will be glad you have it if you get it and wish you did if you dont.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Go to Lowes and buy it there and have fun.Is in the painting supplies section.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

i don't recommend Bondo brand resin. US Composites is very nice stuff. Bondo is very waxy and doesn't soak in well and gels when it starts to set. you end up with a waxy finish that isn't as strong. I just spend a few hours tonight working with US Composites, mixing 16oz at a time and having plenty of work time with no wax or gel issues.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 AM

Perfect Thanks!!