Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2004 Accord Stereo Upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Default 2004 Accord Stereo Upgrade???

Hello. I am new to the forum, so sorry if this question has been covered recently. I have an '04 Accord. I ran over a pot hole while the cd changer was switching and it apparently broke the head unit. I am receiving the "Mechanical Error" message when I try to play a cd.

So, I am guessing I need to replace the unit with either another OEM one or an aftermarket one.

I am more inclined to go with an aftermarket one, but I am not sure which one to go with. I like having the in-dash changer, and would like to keep that option if possible. I am also trying to improve the sound quality of the stock speakers. Having a DVD player/large screen is not important to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to go with here?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 PM

You can still have CD changer if you have an aftermarket HU, I know Panasonic has one, but getting an aftermarket CD changer for your aftermarket HU will cost you... Changing the HU will give you a slight increase in sound quality as it has a bit more power than a stock HU, as well usually more tuning options. But before you do anything i would swing it by someone, you may not have to replace the OEM setup (unless you want to anyways)

Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The cost of fixing that HU may not be worth it, but it can't hurt to get some price estimates. I've got the stock HU from my accord with the CD changer I'm going to be putting up on ebay in the coming weeks, if your interested in that let me know. But I do recommend going aftermarket. Now a new HU will give you the potential for better sound quality, but your not going to see it with the stock speakers. They will have to go too if you want sound that is even remotely good. The stock speakers may even sound worse without the EQ that is built into the stock HU we want to get rid of. Now I don't know of any HU that has a built in CD changer, and if one does exist it's a double din. And getting a double din in a 7th gen requires serious custom fabrication that is not for the novice. So that rules a cd changer in the dash out, but as Christian said you can install one remotely for a price. In this day and age storing you music digitally is really the way to go, there are some real nice ipod interfaces out now. I'm really liking my alpine IDA-x305, and with the added processor and quality audio files you can get near CDA quality.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM

t00fatt - Thanks for the detailed reply. I am starting to side with your opinion on the digital audio route with that head unit. I can always add the aux CD changer if needed.

As for the speakers, what do you recommend? I was researching them and it seems that there is some difficulty fitting the front door speakers and tweeters. I am really trying to keep the stereo upgrade around $1000 or less, so if I can get away with head unit and speaker upgrades (front/rear) for that amount it would be preferable.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Assuming the 04 door panel is identical to the 06, which I'm pretty sure it is. It's really not so bad, if your really intimidated by cutting, than a 5.25" speaker will fit right in. A 5.25" will give you better mids and mid bass, while a 6.5" will give you more bass. So if your not installing a sub I would recommend going for the 6.5"s. It's really an easy cut, you just tape the template over the hole and cut it out with a jig saw. Doesn't need to be a perfect and pretty cut just as much on the line as possible. Then you can just mount your tweeters on the A-pillars somewhere around ear level. They are directional so mount them they are facing in towards the cabin as much as possible.

As for what brand speakers you what, that choice is up to you. Different speakers have different sounds. What speaker you want depends on your musical tastes and personal preferences. JL, Polk Audio, Focal, Alpine, and Boston Acoustics are good brands to choose from. Stay away from Infinity, Pioneer, Kicker, Kenwood and those brands you already know to stay away from. While these companies make great HU's, amps or subs their speakers are not that great. Alpine is really the only company that just about everything they make is good.