Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Accord 2012 DRL - Coupling to LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Default Accord 2012 DRL - Coupling to LED lights

Folks,
I would like to add LED strip on my headlights (from outside).

I am planning to add this LED strip (Audi LED Strip Lights | Switchback LED Bulbs | LED Turn Signal Lights)

These lights are DRL + turn lights.

I think i should draw the power supply from the DRL
See this pic.
I see that it has 3 wires going in.

If two are for powering the DRL and turn lights and 3rd is for ground, then i should take the power from here. Is that right?

If i am wrong, then can you please advise on how to wire this up.

Note: I prefer to draw the power from the fuse box (under the hood). If this is possible then please advise on that too.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Accord 2012 DRL - Coupling to LED lights-dsc00436_2.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

that is fine. you want them on with the DRL, then power from the DRL.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 PM

I do not want to cut the existing wires.,

Can you please tell me where do i draw power from so the LED (DRL + turn light) powers up when the car's DRL and turn lights are triggered.

The fuse box (under the hood) does not seem to have anything to do with DRL.
And under-the-dash fuse box only has one fuse for DRL. I am not sure where is the fuse for turn lights.

Last edited by rppauto; 03-05-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

don't cut, tap. this is how you make a quality tap (then tape with 3M Super 33+)

Name:  soldertap.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  24.5 KB

if you just want them to be powered from the DRL source (not controlled) then you can go back to the fuse box. but note that the fuse box is not controlled. then you can use a fuse tap.

your manual should tell you - or buy a shop manual for your car so you get schematics. that's the only way to know for sure how all of the lighting is controlled/routed. the turn lights are downstream of the flasher circuit and will likely be grouped with other lighting.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 03-06-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks for your reply.

As you have pointed, i think there are two ways to wire up

1) Uncontrolled - Here, i wire with under-the-hood fuse box. So, DRL powers the LED whenever the power is ON.
But, with this option i will not have the turn light function in the LEDs. right?

2) Controlled - Here, i wire the LEDs to whatever the DRL/turn lights are powered from.
2 ways
2A) T-tap the wires just before they go into the DRL/turn lights (this is what you have suggested in your previous post)
2B) Find the source of power of DRL/turn lights (perhaps the relay) and try to power from there without
cutting/T-capping those wires

If above info is right, then i say my 1st preference is (2B) and 2nd preference is (1).

Question 1) Can you please comment if (2B) is possible to do and if yes, then how/where should i look for
Question 2) The first pic shows the 3 wires going into DRL/turn. Can you please confirm me what those 3 wires are for?
Are they for 1) DRL 2) turn light 3) ground
Is this right?

Attached Thumbnails Accord 2012 DRL - Coupling to LED lights-imag0364.jpg   Accord 2012 DRL - Coupling to LED lights-imag0365.jpg   Accord 2012 DRL - Coupling to LED lights-imag0366.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

The lights are likely controlled by a relay. Find the relay, you find a place to intercept, but it will still require a tap.

2B doesn't exist without making a wire harness that goes in-line.

2A is preferred for both function and simplicity.

Clarify if you want to use the LED as turn flashers as well? That is more complicated. how will the LED's know to flash? I have a few ideas on that, using diodes and relays.