Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Accord 95 ex, auto with a h22a1 swap... head unit wiring question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Default Accord 95 ex, auto with a h22a1 swap... head unit wiring question/problem

my accord has a h22a1 swapped under the hood... do you think i still have the radio wiring harness from the accord or it would be from the prelude... because i can figure out how to plug my head unit on my accord...

does anybody has a wiring diagram for the head unit? or can tell me if it would be the wires from the prelude... i didnt do the swap myself.

thanks!... this car without radio is boring!!!

Last edited by alexdc; 06-15-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

to be clear - when you swapped the engine, you swapped the vehicle wiring harnesses including the factory radio harness?

so you now have wire harnesses from a Prelude from the same year or a different year as your car?

And you are looking to use the factory radio that came with the 1995 EX Accord or an aftermarket head unit?

The Honda radio harness didn't change between those two cars. The Metra 70-1720/71-1720 is good for 1986-1998 Honda/Acura vehicles (with some exceptions).

some pics of the harness you have for the radio (from the Prelude), and the radio you have (Accord) would help. did you remove the Honda harness and not replace it with a Prelude radio harness? Can you just not find the factory radio harness?

you have a few options if the harnesses are different.

one - you can buy two metra harnesses. one into the factory prelude wiring and one into the factory accord head unit. then you just match the two up and you have a conversion harness, for about $20. which harness you need totally depends on the year prelude you robbed from.

It is probably the Metra 71-1720 that would go into your 1995 Honda factory radio.

If you have an aftermarket radio, you can run new wiring for the sound system. grab a fused ignition (switched 12V) and fused battery (constant 12V) from the car's wiring. ground to the chassis. and run new speaker wires.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
to be clear - when you swapped the engine, you swapped the vehicle wiring harnesses including the factory radio harness?

so you now have wire harnesses from a Prelude from the same year or a different year as your car?

And you are looking to use the factory radio that came with the 1995 EX Accord or an aftermarket head unit?

The Honda radio harness didn't change between those two cars. The Metra 70-1720/71-1720 is good for 1986-1998 Honda/Acura vehicles (with some exceptions).

some pics of the harness you have for the radio (from the Prelude), and the radio you have (Accord) would help. did you remove the Honda harness and not replace it with a Prelude radio harness? Can you just not find the factory radio harness?

you have a few options if the harnesses are different.

one - you can buy two metra harnesses. one into the factory prelude wiring and one into the factory accord head unit. then you just match the two up and you have a conversion harness, for about $20. which harness you need totally depends on the year prelude you robbed from.

It is probably the Metra 71-1720 that would go into your 1995 Honda factory radio.

If you have an aftermarket radio, you can run new wiring for the sound system. grab a fused ignition (switched 12V) and fused battery (constant 12V) from the car's wiring. ground to the chassis. and run new speaker wires.
i specified i didnt do the swap myself... no not the factory radio lol... an aftermarket head unit...

my old unit was stolen.. so i need to know which color of wire for which application...

thanks

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

you don't know if they changed the wiring? you don't know the year of your engine?

did someone cut off the factory harness and now you just have the factory wire colors to deal with? is that the issue? if so, it's not related to the engine swap - which threw me off.

Radio Constant 12V+: Blue/White
Radio Switched 12V+: Yellow/Red
Radio Ground: Black
Radio Illumination: Red/Black
Radio Dimmer: n/a
Radio Antenna Trigger: Yellow/White
Radio Antenna: Left Rear
Front Speakers: 5 1/4″ Doors
Left Front (+): Blue/Green
Left Front (-): Gray/Black
Right Front (+): Red/Green
Right Front (-): Brown/Black
Rear Speakers: 6 1/2″ Rear Deck
Left Rear (+): Blue/Yellow
Left Rear (-): Gray/White
Right Rear (+): Red/Yellow
Right Rear (-): Brown/White

Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 PM

you don't know if they changed the wiring? you don't know the year of your engine?

did someone cut off the factory harness and now you just have the factory wire colors to deal with? is that the issue? if so, it's not related to the engine swap - which threw me off.

Radio Constant 12V+: Blue/White
Radio Switched 12V+: Yellow/Red
Radio Ground: Black
Radio Illumination: Red/Black
Radio Dimmer: n/a
Radio Antenna Trigger: Yellow/White
Radio Antenna: Left Rear
Front Speakers: 5 1/4″ Doors
Left Front (+): Blue/Green
Left Front (-): Gray/Black
Right Front (+): Red/Green
Right Front (-): Brown/Black
Rear Speakers: 6 1/2″ Rear Deck
Left Rear (+): Blue/Yellow
Left Rear (-): Gray/White
Right Rear (+): Red/Yellow
Right Rear (-): Brown/White
its a h22a1 so its from a 95 or 96 4th gen prelude vtec

Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM

yes!!