Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Accord Fiberglass Stealth Sub Box Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I recently switched most the lights on my boat to LEDs, and I love them. Even have some high wattage LED floodlights for the rear, and LED dome lights with both white and red LEDs. Man they look great, and barely draw any power. LOL man I wish I could give you this pipe, but I need it just as bad as you. I appreciate the offer though, but I've only got two cracks on the bottom, which I've already filled and sanded down. Then I added strips of cloth from the transom to the front of the stringers, now the hull has relatively no flex. Can't wait to see tat cat laid up, may have to start putting some money aside...

Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 PM

I took the cat plugs to my friends shop this weekend. He said they looked great. He is going to make the molds for me,he is almost having to lay off his 6 employees and needs the work badly. Also he is better equiped to lay them up with professional equipment. He will use a chopper gun with titanium doixide mixed in the resin,also using vinyl ester resin not cheap polyester. The titanuim additive makes a much better mold that wont flex easy and last longer. Molds like this cannot be made at home in the garage. It was difficult to hand them over after all that work but I know he is just as much of a perfectionist as me and will do a great job. Besides I don't have the time. They will be done in a couple days but we are going to let them sit until friday before popping them apart. Vinyl ester resin is what most carbon fiber / kevlar parts are made with. Also the additives in the resin allow us to spray the thickness we want in one shot without worry of warping while curing. The goal is 1/2 thick molds. This is the shop with the big animals outside I posted a while ago,he has been into composites for 25+ years and knows his stuff. If you lay up a mold at home you have to add a layer a day until its the thickness you want. Also using chemlease mold release no PVA,hate PVA and using special tooling gelcoat. The tooling gelcoat is even tougher than regular gel but costs more too. Tooling gel is usually in weird colors like orange. Not sure what color he is using now. This is well beyond what most self tought glassers would know about. The additives and spray equipment are too expensive for the hobbiest or at home glasser to even consider. Anyways in a few days I will take pictures of them and youll see for yourself. I will have to donate a kidney in exchange for my new molds...lol. I am also rerigging the mono hull with my new SIKK engine and hope to video it in action and post it on youtube before I cut it apart and make molds from it. The sikk engine looks really good and runs well,lots of compression! Its a 27cc lightened piston and flywheel,modded 257 carb. Suppose to put out about 4.25 H.P. Once I start molding the mono I hope to transfer the sikk to the cat and video that running as well. Heading back to the garage,I like the smell of MEKP and styrene! I know something just isnt right with me.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:08 AM

dont wast ur money u will lose sound with that little box my friend hated his u couldnt even tell he had a sub nd it wuz a jl. bass needs room to bounce around and amplify the sound to get the really high or really deep bass. put as big a box as u can fit make sure its rite for the subs if the box is too big u will lose mad sound

Old 09-19-2009, 11:13 PM

The stealth box holds a single 10. It does very well for a single ten inch sub. If you want to set off car alarms a single ten is not the way to go. I have larger boxes that would do that. Did you expect a stealth box with a single 10 inch sub to shake the neighbors house? The advantage of the stealth box is that it takes up almost no trunk space. You can't compare a large box to a small box. You need to compare apples to apples. If you want huge bass you need to have a bigger box,but that small box holds its own comparing it to JL stealth boxes etc. Besides JL or MTX dosnt even make a stealth box for this generation accord. Comparing the stealth box with a single ten to a large box with a pair of 15's is just plain stupid. Thats like expecting a smart car to win a drag race against a porsche. Sorry maybe you don't know what a smart car is.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Here are the new molds for the cat all polished and ready to go. They are made from vinyl ester resin. Vinyl ester is a premium fiberglass resin with a lot of the properties of epoxy and almost as expensive. It makes a good strong mold that stays straight over the years.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_1068.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Here I am spraying in the gelcoat. This is a orange metal flake. The first step is to spray in a coat of clear gelcoat,then let it harden up. Secong step is to mix up more clear and add the metal flake,then let that harden. The last step is to spray in a back up color because you dont get a total hide from the mETAL FLAKES.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_1070.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 01:12 PM

After the multiple coats of gelcoat I am finally laying up the molds. Here is the hull with the first coat of 3/4 ounce mat. This is called a skin coat and I let it harden overnight before adding more layers. This first coat is the most inportant and getting rid of ALL air bubbles it critical.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_1077.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Here I am making a template for the transom brace. I bought some aircraft quality multi ply 1/4 plywood. I am finally happy with the fit. The stringers are simple. They will be 2.5 inches tall by 24 inches long tapering at the end. The lower corners cut back to allow water to pass.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_1080.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 PM

Here is how the wood fits. It will be glassed in later. Im more concerned with the fitment of the canopy and deck to the hull before I glass in the wood. Im not sure I like the deck and may have to make a new one. I like the canopy because its huge and aerodynamic. It allows great access to the inside of the hull for repairs.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_1081.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 01:26 PM

Canopy looks like a race car. In this picture it still needs the black gelcoat back up coat. Im also not sure how this canopy mounts. I didnt build these plugs so Im figuring it out as I go. I got the plugs already done but in need of extensive repair. I then made the black molds from the plugs. I am thinking a new better aerodynamic deck is needed. I dont like the fitment of the deck to hull or I would use it as is. Major overhang,not well planned at all. The hull and canopy however are beautiful. I just would have to sculpt a new deck and mine would fit perfect like my other 2 piece molds. I am looking at other cats for ideas and if I make one it will look like its going 80MPH sitting still. Also getting ideas as to how to route the exhaust etc etc. I have a stainless tuned pipe on the way.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_1071.jpg  

Quick Reply: Accord Fiberglass Stealth Sub Box Project