Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Audio System Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:23 AM
shoryuken88
Unregistered
Default Audio System Question

I have a 1997 accord ex coupe and almost all the speakers are blown (front and rear). There is also a stock 6 disc cd changer in the trunk, would I be able to still use the cd changer in the trunk with a new head unit? I was going to get all new speakers, Pioneer TS-G1642R for front and TS-A6962R for rear. I'm worried that getting these and running it with the stock head unit might cause the system to be underpowered and perform worse than with stock speakers.

I have two options,
1) get new head unit and speakers, and hope i can use the stock cd changer somehow. If not, then the cd changer would be a waste.
2) get new speakers and keep stock head unit. sound quality might be worse than stock speakers?

I want your opinion accord owners. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Audio System Question

If your head unit works ok, new speakers on the stock system will definitely help the sound, provided that you get low power speakers.

Most likely, a new HU won't let you use the stock CD changer, but there might be an adapter out there .... I haven't seen it though.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 AM

If you want to keep the stock HU you need to find speakers with a very low power rating and a high sensitivity rating of at least 90db. If you get speakers designed with more power in mind the sound will be muffled and not sound very clear and sharp. The other thing is in this price range of speakers there isn't much difference between sound. They all sound OK, some handle bass a little better but there is really no night and day difference between less than $100 speakers. Also the sound quality will not be worse than stock if you get speakers that will run well off low power. I know the 7th gen accord putout about 15w RMS per channel, and that is being pretty generous. So I doubt the 5th gen has as much power.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:42 AM

For efficient, low-power speakers, I like JVC.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:10 PM

Speakers are the most important part of your system so if youre going to upgrade only one part, this should be the part.

One thing to note tho - your stock speakers are made to play low frequencies strongly to make up for a lack of a subwoofer. However, they play midrange and highs poorly. So when you upgrade to good aftermarket speakers, theyre made to work with a sub and so they play mids and highs very well but wont have as much low frequency resposne as your stockers. So while the overall SQ will improve, you can lose some energy in subbass especially if youre not going to be running an amp.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 AM
charmaker
Unregistered

If your head unit works ok, you can also select one digital music changer,
Digital CD changer delivers CD-quality sound directly into the factory sound system via the CD changer port, without the loss of sound quality that occurs with existing cassette and FM transmitter solutions. Directly connect to your car radio by a vehicle specific cable harness, and directly control from car stereo panel or steering wheel, user only need a SD card or USB disk, then you can enjoy the digital music (MP3/WMA) what you like in your car, Because you can download the music that you like from internet put into SD card or USB disk, these music could be edited and played freely. And there also is Aux input for external audio sources, Auxiliary devices such as MP3 players, Portable DVD players, Minidisk Player, handheld gaming systems, notebook computers and IPHONE can be added to the OEM radio while delivering optimum sound quality.
about detailed car audio accessories,

** Please dont use links to your sales ads untill you become a certified Forum Sponsor**
** WheelBrokerAng

Old 09-23-2008, 11:18 PM

it may work if you have a very small amp