Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Avital 4111 Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Default Avital 4111 Remote Start

Any one have a remote start installed on their 2009 Accord? Bought one for my wife. Just wondering how it works and how complicated it is to install.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

depends on your level of experience with electrical wiring in cars.

you'll want a Haynes manual to start because you need the wiring schematics for the car. then follow the instructions and make notes on the schematics for wire taps and splices. the location of the necessary wires can vary, and color codes certainly vary. most of your connections will be at the steering column. you'll also need an immobilizer bypass module - you need to verify which one is compatible with your car and alarm - like this:
http://pac-audio.com/productDetails....&CategoryID=30

solder all connections, then use heat shrink or electrical tape to insulate the connections.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

how it works is as follows:

the remote start interrupts the signal to the starter solenoid. it allows the new system to start the vehicle (assuming it's an automatic). it monitors the position of the transmission (so it won't start in gear), it monitors doors/hood pins, it monitors the tachometer to know when the car is running, and it bypasses the internal security system that would normally prevent it from starting without a key. the Accord (and many other vehicles) have an immobilizer that will not allow the car to start (usually kills power to the fuel pump) unless a key is near the ignition. modern keys have RF chips in them. in order to get around this you have two options.
1. buy a second key and have it hidden inside the steering column with a loop of wire around the key to act as an antenna. this is a stupid method.
2. buy an immobilizer bypass (usually the same price as a second key) that you program to your car. i linked to an immobilizer bypass above - be sure to read the instructions for it (PDF downloadable).

read the installation instructions enough times to be familiar with the alarm you purchased. with enough preparation you will be able to pull this off DIY.

you'll still need a battery constant so you will be running a wire to the battery with an inline fuse (sized per remote start mfr recommendations). this will allow a shop to defeat the remote start when they service it by removing the fuse.

my remote start also allowed me to install a toggle switch in my dash that allows me to simply defeat my remote start - like when i park in my garage.