Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

head unit swap on an 04 accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Default head unit swap on an 04 accord

hey guys i have a few questions.
1. i have an 2004 lx can i swap the base head unit for a 6 disc chg or navi head unit?
2. can i add the vol +/- and chan +/- to the lx steering wheel ?
3. if i wanted to instal an amp can i run the rca from the rear speakers since the factory head unit has no rca in the back?

Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 AM

1)Yes you can swap out the head units. You may need to do some modifications to the wiring, as I dont believe it will be a direct swap.
2)No you can not just add the volume/channel buttons to your lx steering wheel, however im sure you can buy a steering wheel that has them and wire it up, but would also require some modifications and wiring.
3) I dont believe the rear speakers have rca's??? Maybe im wrong... There are other ways to install an amp in a car with a factory head unit with no rca in the back...

Old 06-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa/i.../64/754388.png

This is the 2004 LX steering wheel assembly. if you have a dummy cover where the audio controls go - you can just buy the audio switch (hondapartsdeals.com sells the switch separately, and the wiring harness). you'll have to look and see if the factory wiring for the remote is present or not. you may have to add that wiring, certainly a possibility.

you certainly can swap the head unit out for a nicer model. factory Navi leaves a lot to be desired.

your last question is in regards to installing a line output converter off the rear speakers. a better option is to buy a Pacific Accessory Corporation adapter. visit their website, enter your vehicle, and look at their accessories for OEM integration.

if you buy a JL Audio slash series amp, you can directly tap the rear speakers to feed the amps high level inputs. The JL amp will auto sense a signal to turn the amp on and off - a remote turn-on is not necessary.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 AM

thanks guys i will look into it deeper. as far as rca cables i did it last night i was talking about splicing out of the left and right rear speakers or channels. And then i just add a toggle/switch to the power cable going to the trunk inside the car so i can toggle the amp on/off w/out the remote. maybe i will scratch the 6 disc idea and go/with ipod in the front just add the aux cable i just like the display on the 6 disc changer better and 6 disc is always better than 1. thanks a million

Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

getting RCA outputs and a remote turn on can be done from factory speaker wires using a Pacific Accessory Corporation (PAC) Line Output Converter (LOC)

PAC TrunkLOC

google it and buy it.