Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Honda Accord 2002 - A nice sound system advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 PM

ok i went on that website and crutchfield says THIS ITEM DOES NOT FIT and i have Honda Accord LX 2002 Sedan selected. Can you tell me where to look for component speakers. and what is the difference between component and coaxial. I really have no idea haha. and also on that picture, there is 2 infinity speakers, two tweeters i think and those 2 kinda like rectangle things. wat are those

Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

those linked will fit at only 2.1" deep. crutchfield says that because they can't assume you'll make a baffle or bring the speaker out. you'll need to buy or make an adapter so the mounting holes line up, but they'll fit. Heck, i fit the Alpine SPX-177R in my door and they have 2.8" depth. now, to get that much depth you need to bring the speaker out - closer to the door panel. or you can make your own new screw holes and use a universal mounting adapter, like what comes with Alpine speakers.

to get the above speakers to fit, i use 3/4" thick weatherstripping foam behind the mounting adapter, to gain depth and make an airtight seal.

component speakers have an external crossover (the rectangle thing) that divides the signal between the tweeter and the midrange.

your factory system has no crossover on the door speakers, and a small crossover mounted to the factory tweeters. most aftermarket component speakers have a larger external crossover that has a low pass filter (mids/lows only) for the door speaker and a high pass filter (highs only) for the tweeter. you'll have to locate these somewhere- like behind the dash, in the glove box, etc.

coaxial speakers locate the tweeter with the woofer, in the middle. you don't want your tweeter below your knees. you want your tweeter up high on the dash - like the factory location.

if you find a 6.5" component set with a woofer mounting depth of 2.5" or less, you're good to go. mounting the tweeter in the factory location requires some creativity. you have a few options, but mostly it depends on which one you get.

when you choose the component set, i can help give you direction as to how to mount those specifically - the actual installation will vary based on the speakers you choose. make your decision based on what you like the sound of best, and that aren't deeper than 2.5".

Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 PM

sounds little complicated haha. i dont know if i could do all that by myself. ill prolly ask some of my friends who has a nice sound system in their car. so wat happens if i buy coaxial speakers

Old 05-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

if you by coaxial speakers for the front doors you 1. waste your money, 2. sound worse than stock, and 3. defeat the whole point!

the CORRECT installation of a car audio system requires time, skill, and experience. We all start somehow, some have mentors and some learn the hard way + research.

If you're not much of a craftsman - i.e. don't work with wood or metal, if you don't do electrical work (home or car) - you'll need help. You'll need a digital multi meter, assortment of sockets, screwdrivers, drill, jig saw, and all the necessary electrical terminals/connectors/etc. then you can't do much of anything custom.

for some, their best option is to pay someone. the savings of DIY are nil when you make mistakes and damage gear. it is very easy to damage your gear, and even the vehicle's wiring if you don't know what you're doing.

good luck! and let us know what you decide and what you think about it.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 PM

where do u think i can them installed professionally? and how much would i pay them.