Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

I'm a novice, will my setup work out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

if the amp is putting out 400 watts and the sub says it is 400 watts then you should be fine.

the ohm load on the sub is just telling you what kind of resistance it is putting on the amp. the amp is not a set ohm it is dependent on the sub. if the sub handles 400 watts it handles 400 watts. either way it is wired. also it is not a 4 ohm sub. it has dual 4 ohm voice coils. this means that it can either be 8 ohms or 2 ohms.

to see what your amp is actually putting out you do not need to test it under a load. what you need to do is take your desired out put (in this case 400) mulitply it by the number of ohms (in this case 2). this will give you 800. then take the square root of that. 28.28 volts. hook everything up except your speaker wire. set your gain at zero. play your test tone (i use a 50hz tone) turn your volume up as high as it will go without distorting your speakers. (you should already know this from listening to your radio. if not find this out before you play your test tone. it is usually around 75%) hook your dmm into your speaker outs. turn your gain up until you reach 28.28 volts. your gain will now be set at the maximum for your sub at 2 ohms.

Last edited by neophyte; 04-23-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 AM

my amp claims 500w rms at 2 ohms. sub says it handles up to 400w rms. arent the two voice coils rated at 4 ohms together? isnt that how they rate sub ohmage (if thats even a word)? and if i wire the 4 ohm sub in parallel to the amp the amp sees 2 ohms from the sub pretty much like im running a 2 ohm svc sub right? man, this stuff is pretty new to me but i thought i had this one in the bag haha. i think ill shoot the wires and adjust gain as necessary just to be safe. I don't like smoke...

Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 AM

no the voice coils are rated at 4 ohms each. if you wire them parrellel you would get 2 ohms just like running a 2 ohm svc. they could not be rated together because if you wire them differently it changes your impedance (that is the term for ohmage)

running one sub you will need them to be wired parrellel. if wired ina series you get 8 ohms you would need a output of 56 volts which will be roughly around a 3k watt amp.

also you may want to be sure you wire it correctly. you kinda scared me when you said run it parrellel to the amp. look at the second post in this thread.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...iagrams-39423/

your second link does not work for me.

Last edited by neophyte; 04-23-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by neophyte
to see what your amp is actually putting out you do not need to test it under a load. what you need to do is take your desired out put (in this case 400) mulitply it by the number of ohms (in this case 2). this will give you 800. then take the square root of that. 28.28 volts. hook everything up except your speaker wire. set your gain at zero. play your test tone (i use a 50hz tone) turn your volume up as high as it will go without distorting your speakers. (you should already know this from listening to your radio. if not find this out before you play your test tone. it is usually around 75%) hook your dmm into your speaker outs. turn your gain up until you reach 28.28 volts. your gain will now be set at the maximum for your sub at 2 ohms.
thats awesome and easy peasy. im gonna do that! awesome advice. keephopealive is sending me a test tone cd so i'll get on that when i finally get the sub delivered. mail takes too long when waiting for fun ****...lol

Old 04-23-2011, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by neophyte
also you may want to be sure you wire it correctly. you kinda scared me when you said run it parrellel to the amp. look at the second post in this thread.
ok, so from speaker outs on the amp... + on amp to + on first voice coil to + on second coil. - on amp to - on first voice coil to - on second voice coil, correct? and just for clarification, this is parallel right? each of the voice coils are rated 4 ohms impedence so wired in the above way would put a 2 ohm impedence on the mono amp. i just need to make sure i have this right. thanks

Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM

+ + plus on the speaker - to - on speaker. yes it is 2ohms that way.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:46 PM

update: returned shipment of kicker cvr124 and ordered rockford fosgate p3 4 ohm dvc 12". it's more suited to my amp. the frequencies are more identical and the max RMS this sub claims to handle are what my amp claims it can produce. I still plan on dialing in the setup with a dmm to be safe and to learn a bit more about electricity. also want to see if kenwood is full of sh#t.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:50 PM

you can see if you can find some reviews on the internet about kenwood. everything i have seen shows that kenwood does put out the power it says it will. it just overheats easy.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

the technical reviews i've seen of kenwood all show power output below rated power. keep in mind that you won't keep 14.4-15VDC at the amp anyway, so you can derate power based on voltage alone.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:29 PM

udated update: returned kenwood amp and jl audio remote level control... got a powerbass asa 1000.1dx. comes with a remote gain control all for 270 shipped which is about the cost of the kenwood amp and jl audio remote level control... i have heard nothing but good from people who have used these amps. besides, this amp is stable down to 1 ohm which is nice because im going to be at 2 ohms with the RF Punch 3 sub. keep hope alive, i know you said you recommend these amps so i hope you're right! i have a good gut feeling that this will be a sweet sub/amp setup. the box i have is tuned for the sub also, Rockford Fosgate tuned the p3 12" at 1.79 cu ft. for a ported box and i have 1.70 cu ft. pretty close.

i swear, i get all excited about something and pull that wallet trigger too fast haha. at least both crutchfield and amazon have AWESOME return policies... behold the caps lock, that's how good their policies are. none of those bull sh#t restocking fees. last time i got a restocking fee from someone i called them and said i would go to the warehouse and put it back on the shelf and charge them a restocking fee and stock training fee plus charge them a reimbursment fee for fuel to drive there... they waved the restocking fee.

Quick Reply: I'm a novice, will my setup work out?