Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

installing tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)
Default installing tweeters

i am trying to decide where in a 03 accord would be the best place to put tweeters. i was thinking i could put them in the corner between the door and the a pillar. the only problem with that is i dont think that is deep enough so i would have to build up the plastic piece. if that would be a good place what would be a good product to add to plastic to make it look good?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Apillar mounting usually provides the best combination of sq with stage height. Those plastic pieces are I'm only referred to as sail panels. They require you run tweeter wires through the door.

You can use fiberglass to mold a professional looking tweeter pod.

I am working on a pillar tweeters for a scion tC.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 PM

the problem with mounting in the pillar is i have air bags there. i 1. dont like messing with air bags. their tempermental nature scares me. and 2. dont want to get hit in the face with a tweeter if i ever do have wreck that deploys those air bags.

this is the reason i was going for the sail panels. i dont mind running wire through the door.

where can i get the fiberglass needed to mold.

Last edited by neophyte; 03-24-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I have a 96 4dr, Polk DB6501 components in the front, and have mounted the tweeters on the surface of the door sails with a little angle wedge to point them into the cabin a bit. Looks pretty ugly :|

Since many cars out on the road have tweeter grills built into their door sails, I would like to find a way to fab the existing sails with a tweeter grill, possibly by mating the front half of another car's tweeter grills with the base of the Accord's panel.

Has anyone attempted anything like this? Any ideas on which make/model tweeter grills would mate well to our sail panels?

Thanks. John

Old 03-18-2014, 10:03 PM

I ended up mounting the pods to the sail pillar and then fiberglassing a mold around them. they are posted in "my journey to a better stereo" thread.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

for good-looking sail mounts, you need to fabricate a mount that provides a seamless transition. this can be done with modeling clay and fabric if you want a cost-effective solution that doesn't require fiberglass experience or special tools. PVC caps can act as a tweeter mount as well. get creative. figure out a way to incorporate yours into pods.

i use spheres off the a-pillars for improved imaging and stage height.