Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Jl clean sweep problems

Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Default Jl clean sweep problems

I need anyone who's installed one of these jl audio clean sweeps or just know how this car audio stuff works to help me out here, please!

I got the unit not long ago and am just a little more than frustrated on how to install this thing. I've got the idea on how this works, and I've read up on it for awhile now. Once you get sitting in the car though it makes finding certain wires very difficult. I have my speaker and rca wires connected. Hopefully they've been hooked up correctly. Problem is I REALLY need to know where to get the power and ground for this thing. I'm looking for a detailed explanation, the manual says use the battery, but then says use the 12v+ switched wire. but i have no idea where these (12v wire) are/ how to hook them up (battery).

I also have NO idea where the ignition turn on wire is. that may not be the exact name but the manual says thats what is needed to turn the unit on and off. If someone could tell me where this is and how to properly hook it up that'd be more than fantastic. It's the RED wire coming from the clean sweep.

I would really appreciate ANY help anyone can give. I mean I've payed for this thing, so now i need to get it working!

thanks

Last edited by austinman3214; 04-22-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: added some info
Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

get the ignition (switched) +12V behind the factory head unit or at the console

at the ignition switch harness:

Ignition 1: Black/Yellow
Ignition 2: Yellow

Behind the radio, i believe switched 12V should be Yellow/Red.

ground it and the factory radio to the floor. improve the factory ground.

2004 Honda Accord (6 Speaker System) Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram
Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: White/Green
Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Red
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Red/Black
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Red
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Front Speakers Size: N/A
Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Green/Black
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Green/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Red
Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/White
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Black
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Yellow

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 04-23-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Thanks for a response,

I've no idea where the ignition harness is? a general location would be great

and another question, where does the headunit get its power? I took the switched 12v+ (yellow/red) wire, for the clean sweep, from the stereo harness, and now my screen does not light up. I can hear my cds and such moving around when i connect the stereo harness back into the headunit but no screen or audio playback. Is it because i took the wrong wire?

Also just a heads up, i have an 03 accord coupe with only the tweets, fronts and rears. does that make it a 6 speaker system?? cause on this site: http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-ster...-honda-accord/ It doesn't say anything about me having that system in my car. i don't know though.

EDIT: So i called JL for a lil help, they werent much but the guy on there said to find an interior fuse that is 12v constant and one that is 12v switched (on when car is on only) WHERE CAN I FIND THESE LEGENDARY FUSES!?

thanks for the help

Last edited by austinman3214; 04-23-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

ignition harness is under the driver's side dash. it comes from the steering wheel console down to a large group of harnesses on the left. there may be a plastic door that is visible when you open your door - on the side of the dash, that covers your fuses and harnesses.

when you connected to the wire behind the dash, did you cut it or tap it?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

in addition, the owner's manual will tell you where all of your fuses are. if you can't find your fuses, you should really consider paying a shop for help.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Sorry for not posting this up sooner but I got the clean sweep working. I wouldn't want to go paying a shop for work i can do just the same, I just got a bit lost .

I don't know if it's a true problem but can anyone tell me why I get very low bass response when I have my ipod plugged into the clean sweep? and does anyone have some tips, tricks, or setups for the clean sweep that work real well?